Red and velvety, classic chocolate cake will attract anyone with its look and most delicious taste. White chocolaty, creamy and cheesy frosting pair very well with these beautiful spongy cake. Believe me, they will simply melt in your mouth!!
Even though I have a very big sweet tooth, cake is not my thing. I hardly finish one serving of cake at a time. Hubby also usually won’t go beyond a piece of cake exception to this cake😄!! So I usually wait for very special Occassion to bake something like this!All thanks to my friend Rayida, who is a hands down home baker and her cake pictures inspired me a-lot. (I didn’t get a chance to taste her cakes yet!!). When I went home last time, she pushed me to attend a one day baking workshop, it was a good demo and got more idea on the area where I was least experienced. So for new year, I thought to bake a big fat cake to share with my neighbors and friends. But I couldn’t bake due to our short trip to Delhi around new year, which was unplanned!
On the day of New year, hotel where we stayed kept a counter with alot of pastries and cakes. I told hubby I couldn’t bake as I planned….let us indulge in some sweet treat here. so we bought one red velvet cake slice. After putting first spoon in my mouth,I was like “whether to cry or laugh”….ohh god, cake was tooo dry and tasteless….. how can a prestigious hotels serve these kind of cakes??!! totally disappointed with them 😦 ….. Coming back to Tashkent, I decided to try red velvet cake….. in a miniature form, and anything miniatures, I feel they are the cutest!!! They are so easy and convenient to serve as well ….aren’t they??? I am so happy that I did try them….. they were sooooooo delicious and he had one, two and asked for the third serving at the same go 😄!!! Me, who is not a cake person had half batch of them…. shhhh 🤫….. We had them after breakfast, lunch and dinner as well 😉…..not joking guys, we really did!!!
The cake where really soft and moist. When it sandwiched with the white chocolate cream cheese frosting, you will feel like you are having white chocolate cheesecake with cake base!!! If you are cheese lover like me, you will get hooked with this frosting!!!
Valentines day fast approaching, I thought this is the perfect time to share this scrumptious recipe here, we personally don’t celebrate this particular day though. “Happy valentine’s day” for those who are celebrating!! Make this red velvet cake for your love, you will be loved more 😉….take my words 😍!!
Lets see the recipe……..
Serve – 20 – 22 mini cakes
- All purpose flour – 2 Cup
- Corn flour – 1/4 Cup
- Cocoa powder – 2 Table spoon
- Baking powder – 1 Tea spoon
- Baking soda – 1/2 Tea spoon
- Salt – 1/4 Tea spoon
- Egg – 3
- Sugar – 1 1/2 Cup
- Oil – 1/3 Cup
- Melted butter – 1/3 Cup
- Vanilla extract – 2 Tea spoon
- Butter milk – 1 1/3 Cup
- Red color – 2 Tea spoon
- Lemon juice – 2 Tea spoon
- Water – 1/3 Cup
- Sugar – 3 table spoon
- Sweetened condensed milk – 2 table spoon
- Cream cheese – 380 g
- White chocolate – 125 g
- Cream/milk – 2 table spoon
- Vanilla extract – 1 Tea spoon
- Salt – a pinch (optional)
- Whipped cream – 1 1/2 Cup
- Sugar balls – to decorate (optional)
Direction :-For Cake
- Preheat your oven at 170 C and line a 14*12 1/2 inch baking tray with parchment paper.
- Sieve all dry ingredients (1-6) two or three times in a bowl and keep aside.
- Using stand mixer beat egg for 2 to 3 minutes and gradually add sugar, beat for another 4 to 5 minutes or until egg mixture double in size.
- Take 3 to 4 table spoon egg mixture in a bowl and mix in oil and butter well, and add them to the rest of the egg mixture, incorporate well with a whisk without deflating the beaten egg.
- Add vanilla, food color to the butter milk and mix well.
- Add 1/4 part of flour mixture, and butter milk to the egg mixture and incorporate slowly. Add rest of the flour and butter milk alternatively in 3 to 4 addition and make a smooth batter without any lumps.
- Finally add lemon juice and mix well.
- Pour the batter to the prepared baking tray and bake the cake for 25 to 30 minutes or until tooth pick inserted centre comes out clean.
- Keep the cake to cool down completely before frosting.
For Sugar syrupBoil
- Boil water, sugar and condensed milk together until sugar melt completely, and keep aside to cool down.
- Simmer little water in a pan and in another bowl take white chocolate and cream and keep over it, (double boiler method) and melt it completely. Keep aside to come to room temperature.
- In a stand mixer with paddle attachment, beat cold cream cheese, melted chocolate, pinch of salt and vanilla extract until well combined.
- Now slowly incorporate whipped cream to the cream cheese mixture.
- Assembling the cakeCut the cake using 3 inch round cookie cutter. ( i got 20 pieces) And again cut them into two (2 equal portion as shown in pic)
- Put the frosting in a piping bag with star nozzle.
- Brush the prepared syrup over cake slices, pipe out few dollop of frosting on 1st half and put second half of the slice over it and pipe again some more frosting on top of the mini cake. Repeat the same process on every mini cakes.
- Decorate with sugar balls (if you are using) or sprinkle with cake crumbs on top if you prefer.
Tips & Tricks :-
- You can prepare cake a day or two in advance. If you are doing so, wrap the cake well in a plastic wrap after it cools down completely.
- Save the left over cake cut outs for making cake pops or truffles.
- You can use cake flour instead of All purpose flour and corn flour.