Its pumpkin pumkin everywhere now!! How can someone resist experiment with these nutritious goodies?!! I love and love anything with pumpkin, being it sweet or Savory. Pumpkin pie is not something which I was grown up with or my childhood favorite, but its in my current favorite list and will be there forever from now on!!!
The flaky crust and smooth and luscious filling is simply amazing. Made pie filling from scratch. Its super simple to make. You just simply need to pop pumpkin/butternut squash in the oven, bake till it is soft and make puree. Add your choice of spices and rest of the ingredients in food processer and your pie filling is ready!!!
Contrary to the traditional pumpkin pie, I have kept some hidden yumminess in between crust and pumpkin filling 😉….coconut and cashew mixture, to give slight crunch and nuttiness!! The crust I used here is my favorite one, which I used for my Dulce de leche cheese cake as well.
Hubby’s colleague sent me alot of butternut squash from his own vegetable garden. I was literally celebrating with them all these days 😄.
Don’t forget to grab some pumpkin and try this recipe if you are a pumpkin lover like me 😋, you don’t need a special occassion to make this…. If you are less member family like me, freeze the left over….it will stay there for more than a month!!
Here is the recipe…….. Pie filling adapted from food wishes.
For the dough
- Flour – 1 /14 cup
- Cashew nut powder – 1/3 cup
- Butter – 100g
- Farmer’s cheese/cream cheese- 1/2 Cup
- Salt – 1/4 tea spoon
- Egg yolk – 1
- Milk – 2 table spoon
For the filling
- Pumpkin puree – 2 Cup (see note)
- Whole egg – 1
- Egg yolk – 2
- Salt – 1/2 Tea spoon
- Condensed milk – 1/2 Cup
- Cinnamon – 1/2 Tea spoon
- Ginger powder – 1/2 Tea spoon
- Nutmug – a pinch
- Vanilla extract – 1 Tea spoon
- Corn flour – 1 Tea spoon
- Grated coconut – 1/3 Cup
- Cashew nut – 1/2 Cup
- Sugar – 2 Tea spoon
- whipped cream – to serve (optional)
- Toast and grind the cashewnuts.
- Take all the ingredients for the pie crust except milk in a bowl, and keep it in the freezer for 5 to 10 minutes (all the ingredients has to be really cold for the better pie crust).
- Using a food processor or hand, mix in all the ingredients and make the dough. Add the milk if you feel the dough is too dry and need it to bind together. I added 2 table spoon, you may need more or less depends upon the flour used.
- Place the dough in an aluminium foil and make a disk and refrigerate it at least 1 to 2 hours or over night.
- Take ingredients from 1-10 under pie filling in a food processor, and process until everything combines well.
- Heat a pan,toast the cashew and coconut until lighr brown and Switch off the flame. Add the sugar and mix well. Crush it in food processor and keep it aside.
- Preheat your oven at 180 degree celcius.
- Take the dough and roll it into approximately 12 inch diameter and place them on a 8 inch pie dish. Don’t stretch the dough while placing it. Cut the dough from the edges of the pie plate and slightly press the edges to get in shape.
- Using the cut out portion of the dough make your prefered design. I made some leaf pattern. To make that, roll the dough into about 1/8 inch thickness and cut using a round cookie cutter. From that circle cut again from the edges of the circle to get the leafy shape.Now using a knife create the veins of the leaf. (ref pic)
- Now add the cashew coconut mixture at the base. (Reserve some for decoration)
- Then slowly pour in the prepared pie filling evenly.
- Keep prepared leaf pattern around the edges of the pie plate. Bake the rest of the leaves seperately to decorate the center of the pie while serving (you just need to bake them for 15 minutes).
- Bake the pie in a preheated oven for about 25 to 30 minutes and then cover the top loosely with aluminium foil to avoid burning the top and bake further until pie center set and knife comes out clean.It took me around 45 minutes in total. Each oven may varry.
- Now cool down the pie completely and keep it in the refeigerator to chill it well. I strongly recommend to keep them in refrigerator over night to cut the pie beautifully.
- Serve them with whipped cream (if using), coconut cashew mixture and prepared leaf patterns on top.
Tips & Tricks :-
- To make pumpkin puree, Cut the pumpkin/butternut squash to big chunks and simply pop into the oven untill it changes color to light brown. The scoop out the flush and blend them in blender or food processor.
- You can also use tinned pumpkin puree (be sure not to buy pumpkin pie filling).
- Adjust the spices as per your liking.