Simply comforting and filling soup, perfect on these fall and winter season. In Uzbekistan, they call this soup – Mastava. The rice and meat soup is a whole meal by its own. Super easy to prepare, very delicious and nutritious too. You have carbs from rice, protein from meat and all other nutrients from vegetables.
The temperature is coming down here and we are all set to welcome another winter again Insha Allah! Hot and comforting soup is all we want for dinner now a days! And when I make Mastava, I don’t need to think about making anything side with it. And best thing about this soup is you throw in all the ingredients and your are done!!!! Yes, you heard it right! Just half an hour of cooking time is required. Then who wouldn’t want to make this soup – huh?! All ladies would be happy to find such recipes.
My Uzbek friend shared this recipe with me. When we went to mountain during late spring with them, had this soup very first time from there. It was very light, comforting at the same time very flavorful as well. And I asked her for the recipe and tried it. I will definitely share some more Uzbek special recipes soon, which is on the pipe line 🙂 .
I hope you would enjoy this soup as much as we do. Lets see the recipe………..
Health Tips :- (Source – Google)
- Soup contains so much water in it,which fills you up with fewer calories.
- Meat in this soup provide you protein, which is an important building block of bones, muscles, cartilage, skin, and blood.
- Carbohydrates in rice gives you energy and promote a healthy digestive system.
- Bell pepper and tomatoes are enriched with Vitamin C, which helps to boost your immune system.
- Carrots are rich source of Vitamin A, which helps to maintain healthy skin and good eye health and vision.
- Potatoes has more potassium than bananas, which helps to enhance muscle strength, metabolism, electrolytic functions etc.
- Beef – 200 g
- Onion – 1 small
- Garlic – 2 cloves
- Carrots – 1/2 Cup Cubed
- Tomato – 1 medium
- Potatoes – 1 Cup Cubed
- Bell Pepper – 1 Cup cubed
- Rice – 1/2 cup
- Bay leaf – 1
- Crushed Cumin – 1/2 tea spoon
- Salt & Pepper – to taste
- Oil – 1 1/2 Table spoon
- Water – 1 litter
- Bone broth – 750 ml to 1 litter (See note)
- Cut the beef into cube size. Heat oil in a deep bottom pan and fry the beef until lightly brown.
- Then add in onion and garlic and saute until translucent.
- Add in carrot and tomato and saute.
- Add water and bone broth to it with bay leaf and crushed cumin. Salt and pepper to taste too.
- When meat is 80 % cooked (it took me 15 minutes, depends upon the meat and size you cut it). add in potatoes, bell pepper, washed rice to the soup. (make sure you wash the rice until water clear).
- Cook again by closing the lid for another 12 to 15 minutes. Don’t over cook the rice,else it may become mushy.
- Adjust the seasoning at the end again.
- Your delicious soup is ready….Enjoy!!!
Tips & Tricks :-
- You can use fully water instead of bone broth, but broth gives much more flavors. You can use bone as well while cooking the soup to enhance the flavor, at the end discard it if using.
- Use any combination of vegetables available and/or you prefer.
- Use your choice of rice, I used Basmathi rice.