Who doesn’t like to cook one pot meal for week day dinner?? And today I am with incredibly healthy and delicious one pot dish – Buckwheat plov/pulav/pilaf/plof whatever you may call it. There are a lot of variations of plov, it varies from countries to countries and even kitchen to kitchen.
Buck wheat is something I see a lot in the super market here and not dared to take it. I never had it before. Hubby used to say he had it a lot from college and hospital canteens here. It’s a staple food of Russians and used very widely here as well.
One fine day I was brave enough to buy it and try making our dinner with it. I had no clue how it tastes and to cook as well.Googled to find the solution and found that cooking method was more like rice.
It has a nutty taste and I completely loved its taste and texture. My decision to give a break to usual rice and chapathi with super food buckwheat was complete success.A great gluten-free alternative to rice and wheat. Now one more dish added to our week day menu!!!! I used chicken to make it complete meal, you can use other meats or shrimps as well.
Here is the healthilicious buckwheat chicken plov recipe.
Health Tips :-
- buckwheat helps to improve heart health by lowering cholesterol and blood pressure.
- buckwheat is enriched with antioxidants.
- They are low in glycemic index and helps to prevent diabetics.
- This super food is rich in vitamin and minerals.
- buckwheat is gluten-free as well.
- Buckwheat groats – 2 cups (Roasted)
- Oil – 2 table spoon
- Onion – 2 big
- Carrots – 2
- Garlic – 3 to 4 cloves
- Cumin – 1 tea spoon
- Crushed pepper – 1 to 2 tea spoon (as per taste)
- Chicken – 400 g
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 1/2 tea spoon
- Pepper powder – 1 tea spoon
- Lemon juice – 2 tea spoon
- Salt – to taste
- Marinate the chicken with ginger garlic paste,pepper powder,lemon juice and enough salt and keep aside for minimum 30 minutes.
- Boil water in a deep bottom vessel, and add washed buckwheat into it with enough salt. When the grains 80 percent cooked, drain off the water by dumping into a colander and keep aside.
- In another deep bottom pan heat oil,splutter the cumin and add in marinated chicken and fry until just chicken lightly browned.
- Then add in finely chopped onion, grated garlic and Julienne cut carrots and saute well. Add in salt and crushed pepper, close the lid and cook until onion and carrot became soft and chicken almost cooked.
- Now add the cooked buckwheat into the chicken mixture and mix really well. Close the lid and cook for another 5 to 6 minutes in low flame.
- Serve buckwheat plove with yogurt and cucumber raita.
Tips & Tricks :-
- If you have unroasted buckwheat,simply dry roast it in a pan for 4 to 5 minutes or until golden brown color.
- Make sure not to over cook the buckwheat, it may become mushy.
- Use your choice of meat or prawns instead of chicken.