Fatayers are famous middle eastern snacks prepared with pizza dough filled with different delicious fillings. Meat, spinach and cheese fillings are commonly used. As promised here is my fatayer recipe.I have made Spinach and feta combination and it became our favorite filling now for fatayer.
By making all lots of non veg items for Iftar, I thought of giving a vegetarian touch to my Iftar table. Vegetarian savory dishes pop up very rarely during this month here. So I thought spinach is by all means a healthy choice.Spinach filling paired very well with my Homemade Pizza Dough as well. Hubby is not a Pizza fan, but this little spinach triangle pie disappeared easily from here.
Addition of feta cheese really took the taste to the next level, those toasted walnuts added the crunch.These are not loaded with spices, so it was very comforting savory snack for Iftar!!
After my third attempt, I got those pies unopened after baking!! It’s really very important to squeeze out the moisture from the spinach and make it dry. Otherwise by the time your pies are baked … all those naughty little ones would have opened… haha….I was able to eat those…but were not good enough to present in front of you guys ;). Do you know I was waiting near the oven very curiously to see whether they are being naughty again!!! Childishness in me came out when I made this. It was funny too!
So squeeze spinach as hard as possible….. it will be a stress buster exercise tooo ;-). Don’t worry, follow exactly all steps as given…You can also make half-moon shaped pies, that would be really easy in fact, you can follow the steps here. Share with me your experience in comments, would love to hear from you!!!
Lets see the recipe!
Serves ; 20 to 24 Fatayer
- Pizza Dough
- Spinach – 2 cup chopped
- Oil – 2 tea spoon
- Onion – 1 small
- Garlic – 2 cloves
- Parsley – 2 table spoon chopped
- Chilli powder – 1/4 tea spoon
- Cumin powder – 1/4 tea spoon
- Walnut – 1/4 cup chopped
- Feta cheese – 100 g (3/4 cup crumbled)
- Salt & pepper – to taste
- Egg – 1 small (for egg wash)
- Prepare the Pizza Dough and keep it ready or you can use store-bought as well.
- Add little salt to chopped spinach and keep aside for 10 to 15 minutes. Then take the spinach in muslin cloth and squeeze out the water from it.
- In pan add chopped walnut and dry roast until just it changes color slightly.
- Heat oil in the same pan, add chopped onion and grated garlic, saute until onion became translucent.
- In a bowl add spinach,sauted onion,parsley,cumin,chilli and mix well.
- Then add in crumbled feta cheese and walnut. Add salt and pepper to taste (remember you already added salt in spinach, so add if only require).
- Preheat your oven at 180 ° C.
- Now roll the pizza dough about 1/8 inch thickness and cut using around 4 inch diameter cutter. (Please keep unrolled dough close with kitchen towel to prevent from drying out)
- Now add 1 tea spoon filling at the centre of the cut dough (make sure not to touch the filling on the sides where you gonna punch together. If your filling touches the edges it will be difficult to stick together and will open up while baking).
- Now bring together two sides of the dough until centre and take third portion and pinch towards centre. You will get a triangle shape as in the picture.Close them and punch them firmly and well. Repeat the process with rest of the filling and dough.
- Place prepared fatayer on baking sheet.
- Beat the egg with a tea spoon water, brush it evenly on top of prepared fatayer (Egg wash gives shining and nice golden color).
- Bake it in the preheated oven for about 20 minutes until bottoms are lightly golden color. Then turn the grill/broiler mode and keep for 3 to 4 minutes just to get the golden brown color.(don’t keep more, it may tend to burn).
- Serve hot.
Tips & Tricks :-
- It’s really very important to squeeze out excess moisture from the spinach.