Ramadan Kareem everyone! May you all have the best one!Here its second day of Ramadan today….Alhamdulillah so far it went well!Nombu Kanji (‘Nombu’ means fasting and ‘Kanji’ means porridge, in my mother tongue – Malayalam) is one of the comforting and unavoidable dish to make during Ramadan. That aroma of roasting green gram itself is the smell of Ramadan for us!! When I made this yesterday, missed so much those days of Ramadan with Family!
This very delicious porridge, can be prepared easily. Cooking roasted green gram with rice and finally adding the coconut milk to make it rich and delicious. Back home we get a lot of coconut, so we use coconut milk while making this. Here when I make, I used to add half regular milk and half coconut milk. Sometimes I make regular milk alone. Both the ways, it’s very delicious and comforting.
Here is the recipe for you guys to make……
Health Tips :-
- Fiber in green gram helps you to feel fuller for long time and there by helps to reduce your weight.
- Green grams are rich source of protein.
- Green gram is a vegetarian source of Iron too.
- Having potassium rich food helps to reduce your blood pressure,green gram is enriched with potassium as well.
- Basmathi rice/Jeerakashala Rice – 1/2 cup
- Whole Green gram – 1/4 cup (See tip)
- Water – enough to cook the rice & green gram
- Regular milk – 1 cup
- Thick coconut milk – 1 cup
- Salt – to taste
- Heat a pan and dry roast the whole green gram. When it cools down, just pulse for 3 to 4 times in your processor or coffee grinder. (Don’t make it powder, you just need to get it splitted).
- In a deep bottom pan, cook the rice and green gram together with enough water until soft.
- When it cooked perfectly, add the regular milk and boil for another 6 to 10 minutes.
- At the end add coconut milk and simmer for 2 minutes, add salt to taste and switch off the flame.
Tips & Tricks :-
- You can use regular milk or coconut milk alone.
- Make it as thin or thick as you prefer.
- You can also use store-bought splitted green gram as well.