Kidney beans in aromatic indian spices and coconut cream is one of our way to enjoy vegetarian dish which appear on our dinner table at least once in a week. I make sure those beans/lentils are included in the menu while I am planning for the week. This creamy kidney bean curry we loves to enjoy with white rice, putt (Kerala steamed rice cake) or any Indian bread.
Being a non veg fan, vegetarian dishes are accepted rarely by my man here. But this rajma masala is both of us favorite.If I am making this curry for the dinner with putt, that day is a peaceful day for me….once I soaked this in the morning, curry will be ready in no time and there is no such effort for making Putt as well. We ladies always look for easy and delicious way to cook right??? Here is one amongst them!!!
Health benefits :- (Source)
- Studies shown that kidney beans consumption helped to reduce bad cholesterol.
- High fiber content in beans helps to control the blood sugar level.
- They are rich in flavonol .
- Kidney beans has the ability to prevent starch absorption and breakdown,which helps in weight loss.
- Kidney bean (Rajma) – 1/2 cup
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tea spoon
- Ghee (clarified butter) – 2 table spoon
- Cumin seeds – 1 tea spoon
- Onion – 1 medium
- Ginger chopped – 1 table spoon
- Garlic – 6 to 7 cloves
- Tomato – 1 medium
- Chilli powder – 1 tea spoon
- coriander powder – 1/2 tea spoon
- Garam masala powder – 1 tea spoon
- Salt – to taste
- Coconut cream – 1/4 cup
- Soak kidney beans over night or 8 hours minimum.
- Cook the soaked beans with turmeric powder and enough water until soft or pressure cook for 7 to 8 whistles.
- Heat ghee in another deep bottom pan, add cumin seeds.
- When cumin change color slightly add chopped onion and saute well until soft and light golden color.
- Now add chopped ginger and garlic and saute until its raw smell goes away (about a minute)
- Then add in chopped tomato & salt to taste and cook until it gets soft.
- Add in chilli and coriander powder and mix well until oil separates.
- Now add cooked kidney beans with water used to cook the beans. (Add more plain water if required) and close the lid and boil for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Add garam masala powder and mix well.
- Stir in the coconut milk and simmer for 3 to 4 minutes and switch off the flame.
- Serve hot with your preferred Bread or white rice.
Tips & Tricks :-
- Use your choice of kidney beans.
- Soaking the beans are very important to get it cooked well and easily.
- You can use regular milk cream as well instead of coconut milk.