During early days of my culinary journey, I had a lot of disastrous cooking experiments.I used to make only usual classic Indian dishes in which I was comfortable. The thing is I was least bothered about cooking area till I came to tashkent. When I became the head of home making department, started learning more about cooking.During that time, used to make skype calls back home even for soo basic things and google as well came for my rescue (Still it does). Mom,sis and sis in law guided me and now guess what???I started giving them recipes and tips ;). Haha I really didn’t mean that I became super cook, ofcourse they are more experienced, now I have more ideas about what each elements and measurements makes difference in each dishes & cuisines and easily can twist to family taste and preferences. Now started using new ingredients & tastes which I was not grown up with!!
As someone said experience is the best teacher, my trial and error experiments gave me confidence for trying new new recipes out of my comfort zone. Minced meat is so versatile ingredient, and I used to make many variety and styles of dishes with this. Meat is hubby’s favorite item too. But he likes our Indianish preferably Kerala dishes always. I used to get bored with same kind of taste and he agreed to have something different from our usual niche once in a week for main meal.
This meat ball with creamy sauce is soo comforting and goes very well with rice , any bread of your choice or mashed potatoes too. Not loaded with sooo much of spices, cute little pan seared balls paired very well with this simple creamy sauce. Very simple recipe, easily available ingredients with three small steps – make meat balls, pan fry it, whip up the sauce and mix the fried meat balls and you are ready to go. We served it with boiled basmathi rice and once had with Multi Layered Indian Flat Bread too.
Hope you will like as much we did, don’t forget to give the feedback.
Recipe adapted from Damndelicious.
Serves – 2 to 4
For meat balls
- Onion – 1 small
- Ground meat – 200 g (I used beef)
- Oats ground – 3 to 4 table spoon
- Garam masala powder (All spice) – 1/2 tsp
- Minced Garlic – 1 clove
- Egg – 1
- Finely chopped parsley – 1 table spoon + more for garnishing
- Salt & pepper – to taste
- Olive oil – 2 table spoon
For the sauce
- Butter – 2 table spoon
- All purpose flour – 2 table spoon
- Beef stock cube – 1 (See note)
- Water – 1 1/2 cup (see note)
- Mustard paste – 1 tea spoon
- sour cream – 1/2 cup
- Salt& pepper – to taste.
- Heat 1 table spoon olive oil in a pan, saute chopped onion untill light golden color.
- Take cooked onion, and rest of the other ingredients for meat balls in a bowl, mix and incorporate well with your hands. Make evenly sized balls and keep aside. (I got 36 small balls)
- In the same pan used for sauteing onion, heat another 1 table spoon of oil and cook the prepared meat balls untill golden color on all sides in low to medium flame and take it out.
- In the same skillet add the butter. when it melted, add in flour and mix thoroughly.
- Now add the water and beef stock cube and incorporate well.
- Then add sour cream and mustard paste and mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper and keep it in simmer untill sauce starts thickening.
- Now add back meat balls and simmer again for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Sprinkle chopped parsley and Serve hot with your rice/mashed potatoes/bread.
Tips & Tricks :-
- You can use beef broth instead of water and stock cube.
- I also used to add green chilli paste sometimes while making sauce and meatballs, to get the hot kick.
- Bread crumbs can also be used instead of powdered oats.