Chicken Kurma/korma is one of the famous and widely prepared Indian side dish, thick gravy based curry…..loaded with aromatic Indian spices. Style of preparation varies from region to region. Which is usually served with any Indian Bread or white rice. Whenever we prepare kurma, we will end up by licking fingers. They are soo delicious.
This version of Kurma is super easy and made of yogurt based gravy, Almonds and sesame gave thickness and nuttiness to the Korma. Lots of green chilli used to give that hot kick to the Kurma. Garam masala and powdered cumin gave fantastic Indianish aroma. There is no usual sauteing kind of stuff in this kurma except for the onion frying. Just take all the ingredients together and slowly cook to the perfection without adding any water!!!Moisture from chicken and yogurt helps to tenderise the chicken.
Ever since I got this recipe from Fox life TV show “Food Safari”, I added this to our weekdays dinner menu with little changes. They are soo easy and delicious.Anyways, lets see the recipe…. enjoy cooking!!
Health Tips :-
- Magnesium in sesame seeds helps in respiratory health
- Sesame seeds are rich in calcium, which helps to prevent in PMS and osteoporosis.
- Almonds are loaded with antioxidants.
- Vitamin E in almonds protect your cells from damage.
- Chicken are good source of protein which helps in weight loss process.
Serves : 2 to 3 adults
- Chicken with bone – 350 g
- Onion – 1 medium
- Almonds – 14 to 16 (around 25g)
- White Sesame seeds(Till) – 3/4 table spoon
- Milk – 3 to 4 table spoon
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 table spoon
- Green chilli paste – 1 table spoon (more or less to taste)
- Cumin powder – 1/4 tea spoon
- Garam Masala powder – 1/2 tea spoon
- Turmeric powder – a pinch
- Yogurt – 1/2 cup
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 2 to 3 table spoon
- Lemon Juice – 2 tea spoon
- Chopped almonds and white & black sesame for garnishing (optional)
- Cut & clean the chicken and keep aside.
- Soak the almonds in a boiling water for 15 minutes and remove the skin.
- In a dry pan. toast the sesame seeds.
- Now take almonds and sesame seeds in grinder with milk, and grind to a fine paste.
- Then heat oil in a heavy bottom pan and add finely sliced onion with pinch of salt and fry until onion gets caramelized or light golden color (care not to burn the onion) and take it off from the pan.
- Now take almond & sesame paste, friend onion,ginger garlic and green chilli paste, garam masala,cumin and turmeric powder and yogurt in a bowl. Season with salt.
- Then add the chicken and marinate for 10 minutes.
- Into the same pan and oil used for frying the onion, put the chicken with all the marinade, close with lid, keep it in a low flame and cook slowly. Just look in between and make sure its not getting burn the bottom (Stir in between).
- Cook until chicken gets cooked thoroughly.(It will cook easily, because yogurt helps to tenderise and cook fast and it depends upon each chicken. I used small chicken, so it cooked in 15 minutes).
- Add the lemon juice, garnish with chopped almonds & sesame and serve hot.
Tips & Tricks :-
- You can use cashew nut or peanuts instead of almonds.