Another really simple dessert – Pumpkin Payasam Panna Cotta, Indo-italian Fusion Dessert. Sounds interesting right?? Yes, fusion of two of my favorite desserts, Payasam (Kerala Special dessert) and Panna Cotta (Italian Dessert).
I love the veggy Pumpkin and it goes very well with both sweet and savory dishes. Very first post of my blog is also with pumpkin, that was Pumpkin curry, a savory version which I always used to make when I get the pumpkin. And also made another sweet version- Pumpkin and Dates Pudding/Halwa
Back home when Mom buy pumpkin, usually we demands for pumpkin payasam, it is really delicious.Sweetend with jaggery and flavored with cardamom powder and taste of coconut milk gives this Panna cotta a real Kerala traditional taste. Gave a topping of cashew and coconut crumple, that gave this creamy Dessert a real crunchy delight.
When I was thinking of a dessert for weekend, happend to watch my favorite channel Living Foodz and inspred by show hosted by chef Rakhi Vishwani’s Payasam Panna Cotta. We enjoyed this creamy sweety dessert after our weekend lunch. Hope you too gonna love this.
Anyways, Lets see the recipe.
Ingredients :- (My Measurements & Conversions)
- Pumpkin – 225 g
- Milk – 1 Cup
- Thick Coconut Milk – 1 Cup
- jaggery – 100 g
- Cardamom – 3 to 4
- Fresh Cream – 3 table spoon
- Ghee – 2 tea spoon
- Grated Coconut – 1/3 cup
- Salt – a pinch
- Unflavored gelatin – 2 1/2 tea spoon
- All purpose flour – 4 table spoon
- Chilled Butter – 2 table spoon
- Desiccated Coconut – 1/3 cup
- Brown Sugar – 1/4 cup
- Cashew Nuts – 1/3 cup
- Remove the skin of pumpkin and cook it with a pinch of salt. Mash the cooked pumpkin and set aside.
- Slightly grease bowls/ramekins to set the Panna cotta with butter and keep aside.
- In a deep bottom vessel, Heat milk with grated jaggery and cardamom powder and mix.
- When jaggery melts completely add mashed pumpkin,fresh cream and incorporate well.
- When it comes to boiling point,add coconut milk and just heat it for few seconds and switch off the flame.
- Add pinch of salt to balance the sweetness.
- Heat ghee in a pan and lightly roast the coconut (Please don’t burn it, just change the color to very light brown) and add it to the prepared payasam. Mix well and keep aside to slightly warm.
- Take 3 table spoon of water in a bowl and add gelatine and melt it in a microwave.
- Add melted gelatine to warm payasam.
- Now pour the mixture into the prepared bowl/ramekins and keep aside until it comes to room temperature.
- Now Keep it in the fridge over night or at least 4 hours to completely set.
- Preheat your oven at 160 degree. Line the baking tray with parchment paper or silicon mat.
- Mix all the ingredients under “for topping” well.
- Spread the mixture on prepared sheet and bake it for 15 minutes or until it comes to light brown. Take out and keep aside to cool.
- Now top your Payasam Panna Cotta with Coconut cashew crumple and enjoy!
Tips & Tricks :-
- You can use sugar instead of jaggery, but jaggery gives more kerala traditional taste and which is healthy than sugar.
- You can also add regular milk instead of coconut milk and vice versa. If you are using fully coconut milk, use thin milk/ Second pressed coconut milk at first stage.