Butter Chicken is most of us favorite side dish order when we visit restaurants. But how about someone like me who stays abroad and limited options of Indian restaurants!? Yes, home cooking is the only option. And getting restaurant like food at home it self make our loved one so happy. So here is a mouth-watering Restaurant style Butter Chicken recipe with oven grilled chicken.
Butter chicken is an Indian side dish, cooked in mildly spiced cream and tomato based gravy with chicken cooked in Tandoor(clay oven),grilled in oven or pan-fried. Mostly served with tandoori roti/Naan or any other Indian bread like Layered Paratha , Chapathi or any bread of your choice. I served this finger licking Butter chicken with Onion paratha, which was also a delicious combo.
You can use left over tandoori chicken after a barbecue party or can make the chicken ready a head of time. Keeping chicken to marinate over night makes chicken more flavorful and tender.
Lets see the recipe (Adapted from Jamie Oliver‘s channel).
Health Tips :- (Source)
- Chicken is the high source of lean, and low fat protein.(Try to have without skin)
- Chicken is high in amino acids which is a natural anti depressant.
- They are also high in Phosphorus, which is good for teeth and bones health.
- Chicken contain selenium, which will increase your metabolism and improve immune system.
- They are rich in Niacin which will protect against cancer.
For marinating the chicken
- Chicken – 375 g (preferably boneless)
- Thick yogurt/curd – 1 1/2 table spoon
- chickpeas flour – 1 tea spoon
- Ginger Garlic paste – 2 tea spoon
- Red chilli powder – 2 tea spoon
- Coriander powder – 1 tea spoon
- Garam Masala powder – 1/2 tea spoon
- Cinnamon powder – a pinch
- Saffron Crushed – a pinch
- Salt – to taste
- Melted butter – 1/2 table spoon (optional)
For the gravy
- Butter – 1 1/2 table spoon
- Cardamom – 2 to 3
- Cloves – 2 to 3
- Cinnamon stick – 1 inch
- Onion – 1 small (About 100g)
- Grated Ginger – 1 table spoon
- Chilli powder – 2 tea spoon
- Garama Masala powder – 1/4 tea spoon
- Tomato – 1 small (about 100g)
- Kasoori methi (Dried Fenugreek leaves) – 1 table spoon
- Double Cream – 1/3 cup
- Sugar – 1/2 tea spoon
- Salt – to taste
For grilling the chicken
- Cut the chicken into cubes and Marinate with all the ingredients under “for marinating the chicken” except butter for at least 3 hours or over night.
- Preheat your oven at 200 °C and soak the bamboo skewer in water for 15 minutes.
- Arrange the marinated chicken in the prepared skewer and place it on the wire rack, brush the melted butter on top and place it in the preheated oven. (Keep an oven tray under the wire rack, to make your life easier while cleaning the oven).
- Cook it for 20 to 25 minutes.(Please keep your eyes in the oven since each oven cooking time may vary).
- Keep aside the cooked chicken.
For the gravy
- Puree the tomato and keep aside (refer tips&tricks).
- Heat a sauce pan and add butter.
- Now add in cardamom,cloves and cinnamon stick and just fry for few seconds.
- Then add finely chopped onion and saute until its turns to translucent.
- After that add in the grated ginger and saute well until raw smell goes.
- Now add chilli and garam masala powder and saute well for a minute.
- Then add pureed tomato and cook it for a minute too.
- Then slowly add in the fresh cream and mix really well and cook for couple of minutes.
- Now add fenugreek leaves and sugar and incorporate well.
- Add in little water to loosen the gravy.
- Now add grilled chicken and mix well. Close the lid and simmer for 5 to 6 minutes.
- Add salt to taste.
- Switch off the flame and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Served hot and enjoy with your preferred bread.
Tips & Tricks:-
- Marinate the chicken over night for better taste.
- You can grill the chicken ahead of time to make your life easier.
- Use Kashmiri chilli powder for good color and less hotness.
- Adjust the chilli powder as per your liking.
- You can also do pan grilling/shallow fry in the pan if you don’t have an oven
- To puree the tomato, take a bowl with boiled water and add tomato to it. Keep for 5 to 10 minutes. Then take out from water and remove the skin and seeds. Make puree in grinder or food processor.