Hey. Belated happy new year to all my lovely readers. I am back again after a very long gaaap that I have ever taken from blogging world!!! Due to some or other reason, I had to stand away from this. Anyways hope I will be able to post regularly from now on.
I am here with a delicious recipe – Honey Cake. Its an age old Russian cake, called here as ‘Medovik’ (in Russian). This is very tender and delicate cake, which is so rich and delicious.You have to prepare the cake before a day you serve it,both the cream and cake will pair very well and will tastes amazing. The Star ingredient in frosting is Delce De Leche (Cooked condensed mik), so you could imagine how yummy this cake would be!!
This was in my to do recipe list for quite sometimes. Whenever I see the honey cake pieces here in bakery shops, used to carve for a portion. Never bought it thinking I will make myself. I rarely put my hands on cake with frosting because we both can’t have it completely. Thats how making honey cake also took this long. So when we invited a friend for lunch, I thought of making Honey cake as a dessert.Served them after lunch, packed him some pieces of cake, we kept few for ourselves and I have given away some for my miklady. Got good comment from hubby jaan and his friend. He had it from outside many times and said this is how it usually tastes.Most happiest part was milklady took recipe from me saying that which came out really well ;). I was so thrilled when I heard from her.
I am warning you, this is not for someone who is dieting, because you will keep on eating once you start having it. Its a super delicious cake with ingredients easily available. Anyways, lets see the recipe.
For the cake :-
- All purpose Flour – 2 3/4 cup (See note)
- Sugar – 1/3 cup
- Honey – 3 table spoon
- Butter – 100 g
- Baking soda – 1 tsp
- Egg – 2
For Frosting :-
- Butter Softened (Room temperature) – 300 g
- Cooked condensed milk(Dulce de leche) – 1 tin (See note)
- Vanilla Essence – 2 tea spoon
- Walnut crushed – 1/2 to 3/4 cup
- Chocolate shavings for garnishing (optional)
For the cake :-
- Take a pan with water and keep it simmering, then keep a glass or steel bowl on top of it with sugar and butter (double boiling method). When sugar and butter melts together add in honey and mix well.
- Now add in baking soda.This time batter will get puffed up. Then take the bowl off from the double boiler.
- When it slightly cools down add in egg one at a time and incorporate really well using a wire whisk.(Make sure not to scramble your egg)
- Now add in the flour a cup at a time and mix well.(See tip).
- Preheat your oven at 180 °C.
- Make the log of the dough and divide it into 9 equal size portion.
- Now roll out the dough thinly into round shape (you can make your desired shape) using any measuring aid (I used here a lid) and cut out the excess portion. Don’t discard the cut out portion, later on we can bake and use it for decorating the cake.
- Using a fork, just prick the cake dough all around to avoid puffing up of the cake.
- Bake rolled out dough for about 3 to 4 minutes each. (Keep an eye on your oven, baking time may vary depends upon your oven)
For the frosting :-
- Take softened butter in a bowl, beat for a minute.
- then add in Dulce De Leche little by little and incorporate well.
- Add in the vanilla extract and mix well.
- Do bake the excess cut out portion of the dough, when it cools down crumble it using a food processor (Don’t powder it)
- Crush the walnut also in a processor (Don’t powder it). and the mix it with crumbled cake and keep aside for decorating the cake.
- take your cake serving plate and keep 1st layer of cake, then top each layer with frosting, then spread the powdered cake and walnut mixture on top of frosting and repeat the process until you done with all the cake layers.
- Now spread the frosting on the sides of the cake evenly.
- Decorate the cake as you desire on top and sides using the crushed walnut and cake scraps & chocolate shavings (if using).
- Now your yummiest Medovik (Honey Cake) is ready. Make it a day ahead before you serve for the best result.
Tips & Tricks :-
- Add the flour little by little and you may need little more or less depends upon the flour used.
- Dulce de leche, you can either use store bought or home made. I made my self. Take a pressure cooker and keep unopened can of condensed milk in it. pour normal water just 1 inch above the condensed milk tin and close with pressure lid. Now when you get the 1st whistle, keep it in simmer cook for about 45 to 1 hour.
- If you don’t have pressure cooker, you could use deep bottom vessel as well. but you have to cook it for about 3 hours. (same way as pressure cooker – condensed milk tin unopened and submerge in the water).
- Roll the dough directly on the parchment paper to make your life easier, which will be easy to transfer to the baking tray.