Yet another easiest Middle Eastern Dessert is here for you – Layali Lebnan/Lubnan (Labanese Night). I am not sure why this delicate sweet dish got this name, but I know one thing – this is one among scrumptious desserts middle easetern people were/are enjoying for years. This goes well on any occasion and/or for ending your weekend meal, believe me there is no hard work to make this simple beauty.
usually this dessert used to make in two layers. Base with semolina pudding and topped with thick and smooth cream. I have given a third layer of nuts in between semolina and cream for an added crunch. Nut layer really enhanced the taste with little crunch in between the soft and delicate pudding. As always, rose-water fragranced sugar syrup gave soothing taste.
Here is the recipe for you for your weekend meal, hope you will enjoy this Layali Lubnan with your loved one. Recipe adapted from wanderingspice.com with little twist and tweak from my side 🙂
Serves – 4 to 6
For semolina pudding :-
- Milk – 2 cup
- Fine Semolina(Rava) – 1/4 cup
- Vanilla Extract – 1 tea spoon
- Fresh Cream – 1 table spoon
- desiccated coconut – 1/4 cup
- Rose water – 1 tea spoon
- Salt – a pinch
For Cream topping :-
- Whipping Cream – 1 cup
- Sugar – 2 tea spoon
- Vanilla Extract – 1 tea spoon.
- Pistachio – 1/2 cup (Semi powdered)
- Walnut – 1/4 cup (Semi powdered)
- Cherries – to decorate (optional)
For Sugar syrup :-
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Water – 1/2 cup
- Lemon juice – 1 tea spoon
- Rose water – 1/2 tea spoon
- Salt – a pinch
- In a pan take milk. Then add in semolina,vanilla,cream,coconut and pinch of salt and mix really well. Heat the milk mixture pan and stir continuously untill the mixture become thick and coat the back of the spoon.(Remember pudding will become more thick as it cools down). Then add rose-water and switch off the flame.
- Pour the semolina – milk mixture to the dish where you gonna set the pudding and keep it in counter top to cool down (I used 7 * 6 inch porcelain dish)
- Then spread and make a bed with the powdered nuts mixture on top of the semolina pudding by reserving 2 table spoon or so nuts to decorate on top.
- Whip the cream,sugar and vanilla untill thick and stiff peak.
- Then spread the whipped cream on top of nuts mixture evenly.
- Then decorate with rest of the nuts and cherries if you are doing it. Cover and refrigerate it untill ready to use.
- Now heat sugar and water in a pan. When sugar dissolve completely, add in lemon juice and pinch of salt and boil for another 10 to 11 minutes. When sugar syrup gets little thicken, switch off the flame and add in rose-water.
- When ready to use, cut into desired shape and drizzle sugar syrup on top as desire and enjoy! Bon Appetit!!!
Tips & Tricks :-
- You can add orange blossom water as well in sugar syrup. I had no stock, so didn’t use it.
- You can make the this dessert ahead of time.
- Feel free to avoid nuts bed part, if you are not a nut lover.