Here is another famous and delicious Malabar snack – Chatti Pathiri/Atti pathal/Atti pathiri. This yummy snack hold its place on Iftar table and other festival parties or simply as evening snacks. This Malabar delicacy made in both Sweet and savory versions. By its look, chatti pathiri is very similar to Italian Lasagna. Crepes are layered with meat fillings and cooked in lowest flame or baked in the oven.
Since my hubby loves savory snacks for Iftar, I prefer to make Malabar savory snacks for him. Chatti pathiri is very filling and you can also make this as a dinner item. Filling can be made ahead of time and making crepe and assembling can be done simultaneously on the day you prepare Chatti pathiri.
Preparation is little bit lengthy process but delicious treat is assured at the end. Filling can be done as you desire, I made filling with chicken in authentic north Malabar style.
This yummy dish is called by different names in various regions of malabar.But method of preparations are almost similar. Anyways here is the recipe for you.
Serves – 2 to 3
For Filling :-
To marinate chicken
- Chicken Breast – 200g
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tea spoon
- Pepper powder – 1/4 tea spoon
- Garama Masala powder(Whole spice powder) – 1/4 tea spoon
- Red chilli powder – 1/2 tea spoon
- Lemon juice – 1 tea spoon
- Salt to taste
To make masala
- Oil – 2 table spoon + enough to shallow fry the chicken
- Onion – 1 big ( 1 1/2 cup chopped/ 180 g)
- Ginger Garlic paste – 2 tea spoon
- Green Chilli – 2 to 3
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tea spoon
- Pepper powder – 1/2 tea spoon
- Coriander leaves chopped – 2 to 3 table spoon
For Crepe :-
- Milk – 1/4 cup
- Water – 1/3 cup
- Egg – 1 small
- All purpose flour(maida) – 1/2 cup
- Oil/Butter – 1 tea spoon
- Salt – to taste
For Egg Coating :-
- Egg – 1
- Milk/water – 2 table spoon
- Salt and pepper – to taste
For making filling :-
- Marinate the chicken with ingredients under “To marinate chicken” and keep it for 30 minutes minimum.
- Then heat oil in a pan and shallow fry the marinated chicken. Then cut the fried chicken into very small cubes or shred it with your hands and keep aside.
- In another pan, heat 2 table spoon oil and add chopped onion. Saute well untill it become soft.
- Then add ginger garlic paste and finely chopped green chilli and saute well untill its raw smell goes away.
- Then add turmeric powder, pepper powder and enough salt (take care while adding salt, we need salt only for onion mixture. Chicken is already marinated with enough salt) and saute well for a minute or two.
- Now add shredded chicken to the onion mixture. Mix and combine well.
- Close the lid and simmer for 1 minute.
- Add chopped coriander leaves and switch off the flame. Keep aside the filling.
For making Crepe and assembling Chatti pathiri :-
- In a bowl, beat egg, milk, salt and pepper and keep aside for egg coating.
- In another bowl, take all the ingredients under “For Crepe”. make batter by mixing really well using a wire whisk without any lumps. You can also use food processor or blender.
- Now heat a non stick pan and pour 3 to 3 1/2 table spoon prepared batter and spread n make round crepe (I made 6 inch diameter crepe and assembled the chatti pathiri in 5 1/2 inch diameter pan. So make crepe little bigger than the size of the pan you gonna assemble the chatti pathiri)
- Keep ready the pan which you gonna assemble the Chatti pathiri by brushing enough oil.
- Then dip the prepared crepe in the egg- milk mixture and place it on the base of greased pan where you gonna assemble it.
- Then spread a table spoon or so chicken filling.
- Again make another crepe using the batter and dip the crepe in egg-milk mixture and keep it on top of previously layered chicken filling.
- Repeat the process untill you finish the chicken filling or as per the layer you wish to make. (Here I made 5 layers of crepe and 4 layers of chicken filling)
- Top most layer should be crepe and pour any remaining egg-milk mixture on top of the Chatti pathiri layers.
- Now cover the pan and keep a simmering plate/aluminium plate if you have on stove top, and place the pan on it which Chatti pathiri layered. Then switch on the flame to lowest possible and cook it for 20 to 25 minutes.(It depends upon flame and pan you used).
- Then Flip the Chatti pathiri and put it back to the pan, cook the other side for 5 to 7 minutes more. (To flip it, keep a plate on top of the pan and revert it. then put back the previous top portion down).
- Now cut into desired shape and enjoy. I love some tomato ketchup on side, but it’s simply delicious by its own.
Tips & Tricks :-
- You can use any other meat instead of chicken such as beef,fish, prawns etc.
- This can also be baked in the oven, if you are using your oven, assemble the Chatti pathiri in an oven proof pan and bake it in preheated oven at 180 C untill the top become light golden brown.
- You can make it in any size, just make 1/2 inch bigger crepe than you gonna assemble it.
Do let me know in the comment if you tried making Chatti pathiri. Would love to hear from you :). Share it with your friends and family, if you liked the recipe.