Luqaimat is one of the yummiest and my all time favorite middle eastern sweet snack. These sweet dumplings are very easy to prepare as well. If you had this yummy snack once in your life time, you would probably have craved for it again. Or if you have never had luqaimat, I suggest you must try once.
These fried sweet dumplings are a must on Iftar table amongst Arabs. We used to make this at least once during Ramadhan. Once you have a platter full of luqaimat in your hand, I bet you won’t stop eating them.
We both were keeping on eating this crunchy snack and finished all of them. These little snacks are little crunchy on outside, and little softer inside. Proofed batter are fried in hot oil and drizzle some honey or sugar syrup on hot dumplings and yummmm. We always prefer to enjoy it with honey.
Lets see the recipe………
Serves – 25 to 30 dumplings
- All purpose flour – 1 cup
- Cornflour – 1 tablespoon
- Instant dry yeast – 1/2 tea spoon
- Sugar – 1 tea spoon
- Salt – a pinch
- Warm Water – 3/4 cup (more or less depends upon flour you used)
- Oil – Enough for deep frying + 1 tea spoon
- Sesame Seeds – To sprinkle on top (Optional)
For Syrup :-
- Sugar – 1/4 cup
- Water – 1/4 cup
- Saffron Strands – a pinch
- Lemon Juice – 1 tea spoon
- Take Sugar, water with saffron in a pan and bring to boil for 5 to 6 minutes and then add lemon juice and simmer for 5 to 6 minutes or untill syrup thicken slightly and keep it aside to cool down.
- In a bowl, take both the flour, yeast,sugar,pinch of salt and 1 teaspoon oil and combine well. Then slowly add in warm water and mix really well using a whisk or your hand without any lumps and make thick batter.
- Now cover the bowl and keep it in a warm place for one and half to 2 hours or untill it double in size.
- Then heat oil in a deep-frying pan in a medium heat (Dont keep the flame high, which will burn the dumplings so quickly and inside will remain uncooked)
- Dip you hand in some water/oil and grab some of the dough using your fingers and drop it into the oil. (You can also use a table-spoon or ice cream scoop to do the work, if doing so dip them as well in oil/water).
- Move and flip the dumplings and cook evenly on all the sides untill light golden brown color.
- Then transfer them to the kitchen tissue paper to remove the excess oil.
- Drizzle prepared and cooled sugar syrup or your favorite honey on top of it and enjoy.
Tips & Tricks :-
- Try to use good quality or unexpired yeast for better result.
- Have the prepared dumplings on the same day itself.