Umm Ali/Omm Ali is a delectable and an age-old middle eastern dessert which gets creaminess from the milk & cream and crunchiness from the nuts used in it. This scrumpitious dessert is an absolute bliss. The perfect and soothing sweet dish for your Iftar too.
The arabic word “Umm Ali” literally means “Ali’s mother”. Sounds funny right?! But the bowl full of creamy & melt in your mouth dessert makes you forget about the name and you gonna love this and start making it for the rest of your dessert carving. There are many stories behind this sweet dish, but one thing for sure, Ali’s mother and wife of Sultan Ezz El Din Aybak, who has created this wonderful dessert is a Master Chef.
Traditionally Umm Ali is made using puff pastry, phyllo pastry or even with croissants as a base for the dessert. Topped with sweetened creamy milk and nuts of your choice. Believe me guys this is a super easy dessert and you will love-making it and enjoy having it.
Back in UAE, this delicious dessert is one of the unavoidable dessert in the buffet menu. I remember enjoying Umm Ali in our Office Iftar parties too. This dessert is traditionally served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or with whipped cream on top. But trust me which is yummy by its own. I used to serve this irresistible dessert cold as well.
Let see the super easy recipe………….
Ramadhan Health Tips :-
- Prepare food made from fresh ingredients and eat fresh.
- Drink plenty of plain water during non fasting hours.
- Have fresh fruits and vegetables, as it contain lots of Vitamins and minerals.
- Have fresh fruit juices with less or no added sugar.
- avoid store-bought canned juices and soft drinks – which is simply artificially flavoured and loaded with sugar, which will harm your health.
Serves – 4 to 5
Ingredients :- (My Measurements & Conversions)
- Puff Pastry – 250 g
- Milk – 2 cups
- Fresh Cream/CLotted cream – 2 table spoon + 4 table spoon
- Condensed milk – 6 to 7 table-spoon
- Vanilla extract – 1 tea-spoon
- Salt – a pinch
- Chopped Cashew nuts – 3 table-spoon
- Chopped pistachio – 3 table-spoon
- Chopped almonds – 3 table-spoon
- Raisins – 3 table-spoon
- Shredded coconut – 2 table-spoon
- Vanilla Ice Cream – To serve (optional)
- Preheat your oven at 200° C.
- Place the puff pastry in a baking sheet and bake for 15 to 20 minutes or untill its light golden color on both the sides and take out and cool down, crush it using your hands and keep aside.
- In a sauce pan, take milk, cream,condensed milk, vanilla and salt, mix well. Then bring it to a soft boil, switch off the flame and keep aside.
- Take an oven safe baking dish and place 2/3 of puff pastry in it.(I used 7*6 inch dish)
- Then add nuts,raisins and shredded coconuts on it.
- After that pour the sweetened milk mixture all over the puff pastry and nuts.
- Now put the rest of puff pastry (1/3) on top of it.
- Now top it with 4 table-spoon of cream. (No need to spread, it will spread by its own).
- Keep the dish on counter top for 15 minutes or so, by this time milk will be absoarbed by the puff pastry.
- Then place the baking dish in preheated oven under grilling/broiler mode for about 10 to 15 minutes or untill it turns to golden color on top (Please keep an eye in it, which may turn brown soon – depends upon your oven)
- Take out from the oven and Serve warm with Vanilla Ice cream or whipped cream (if you are using it) or have it plain.
- Enjoy with your loved one 🙂
Tips & Tricks :-
- You could use croissant also instead of puff pasty. If you are using croissants, just pop it in the oven to get little crunchiness and tear off using your hands and follow rest as mentioned in the recipe
- You can use sugar instead of condensed milk and feel free to adjust the sugar/condensed milk as per your liking.
- You can use or completely avoid/ increase or decrease the nuts as you like . Or swap the nuts of your choice.
- You can also use whipped cream on top before baking instead of fresh cream or clotted cream. If you are using whipped cream, just spread it evenly all over the surface.