Falafel is a middle eastern vegetarian snack made with soaked chickpeas. If you were some where in middle east, you probably would have tasted this tasty snack. Usually it used to be served as sandwich in pita bread. Which is also very tasty with some garlic sauce/tahini sauce or even with ketchup.
In UAE near my dad’s shop there is a cafeteria, who serves very tasty and hot falafel. We used to buy falafel alone in a paper bag and munch on with some fresh juice. It is used to be super crunchy – which is oil fried.
Since I wanna avoid as much oil frying as possible for Iftar snack, I made baked falafel without compromising on taste. Baked falafel is lighter one. It is totally up to your preference whether to fry or bake, both the ways it is tasty and easy. You just need to soak the chickpeas over night and process it with spices and herbs, shape it up and bake it.
We served it with Tahini sauce, I have given the recipe below.
Lets see the recipe…..
Health Benefits :-
- Chickpeas are rich in Iron,Phosphate,calcium,manganese,magnesium,Zinc Vitamin K etc.
- chickpeas contain a good amount of fiber, which helps to lower the amount of cholesterol.
- Selenium found in chickpeas, detoxify cancer causing compound and also play good role in liver enzyme function.
- It also contain folate.
- Choline helps to reduce chronic inflammation, which is also contained in chickpeas.
Serves – 10 to 12 patties
Ingredients :- ( Measurements used )
For Falafel :-
- chickpeas – 1 Cup (Soaked over night)
- Onion – 50 g (Half of medium onion)
- Green chilli – 1
- Garlic cloves – 2 big
- Chopped Parsley – 2 table-spoon
- Chopped coriander leaves – 2 table-spoon
- Chopped mint leaves – 2 tables spoon
- Cumin (jeerakam) – 1/2 tea-spoon
- Pepper powder – 1/2 tea-spoon
- Red chilli powder – 1/2 tea-spoon
- Salt – to taste
- Lemon juice – 2 tea-spoon
- All purpose flour – 3 table-spoon
- Baking powder – 1/2 tea-spoon
- Olive oil – 1 table-spoon + enough to brush while baking
For Tahini Sauce
- Tahini – 4 table-spoon
- Water – 3 table-spoon
- Lemon Juice – 3 tea-spoon
- Dried parsley – 1 tea-spoon
- Black pepper powder – 1/4 tea-spoon
- Grated garlic – 1 clove
- Olive Oil – 2 tea-spoon
- Salt – to taste
- Preheat the oven at 200 °C for 15 minutes before baking and line the baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminium foil and brush with oil.
- In a food processor, take all the ingredients from 1 to 12 with 1 table-spoon of olive oil and process it untill well combined and semi crumbly.
- Then add in baking powder and flour. Process it again to combine well. (at this time, dough will come together easily).
- Now scoop out the dough with an ice cream scoop or a table-spoon and make a Pattie for about 1/2 inch thickness.
- Continue the same with rest of the dough.
- Arrange it in a prepared tray and refrigerate it for an hour. (this step is completely optional, refrigerating will help to firm up)
- Then brush olive oil on both the sides of patties and bake it in preheated oven for 15 minutes. After that flip it over and bake for another 15 more minutes. By this time your falafel will be light golden brown color.
- Serve hot with prefered sauce.
For Tahini Sauce
- Take all ingredients for sauce in a bowl and mix and blend well with a whisk or a spoon.
Tips & Tricks :-
- For falafel, adjust the spices and herbs as per your liking.
- Do not use cooked chickpeas for this recipe.
- While making sauce, you can also use fresh parsley. If you are using fresh one, chop it very finely.
- Adjust salt, pepper and lemon juice to your liking for the sauce.
- If you wanna fry the falafel, just make semi balls with the dough instead of patties and deep fry it.
- Falafel can also be refrigerated for couple of days and freeze well for up to a month. If you are freezing thaw it before baking.