This is one of the easiest and yummiest middle eastern dessert, which can be prepared for Iftar. After a long day of fasting,this mildly sweet and delicate dessert gives so much comfort. We always prefer to have one sweet dish for Iftar – because which gives burst of energy to move on for further prayers and activities.
You don’t need to stand in the kitchen for hours to make this sweet dish. This will be ready in 15 minutes and you just need to chill it in the refrigerator for an hour or two. Milk is thickened with powdered rice and I added ground almond to make it more healthy and super delicious. And also fragrance of rose-water and flavoure of little cardamom powder takes this rice pudding – Muhallabia to the next level.
You can serve this chilled as a dessert or hot as a breakfast item in the morning since you can get all the goodness of the milk and almond in a bowl.Serving choice is all yours :). This can be made ahead of time, so if you are preparing it for Iftar, you can relax at the last-minute.
Anyways lets see the recipe :-
Health Tips :-
- Milk is rich in calcium, which is essential for growth and development of strong bone and dental health.
- Milk is also enriched with so much of vitamins and minerals such as Vitamin A, D, B12, phosphorous, selenium, magnesium, protein, Zinc, riboflavin etc…
- Almonds are loaded with antioxidants, which helps to protect against oxidative stress.
- Almonds are rich in Vitamin E, which protect body cells membranes from damage.
- Almonds contain high amount of magnesium, which helps to control blood sugar and blood pressure level.
Serves – 3
- Milk – 2 Cups
- Rice Flour – 1 1/2 table-spoon
- Condensed milk – 4 table-spoon (see tip)
- Milk Powder – 2 table-spoon
- Ground Almond – 1/2 cup + 1 table-spoon for garnishing
- Salt – a pinch
- Cardamom powder – 1/2 tea-spoon
- Rose Water – 1 tea-spoon
- Chopped pistachio – for garnishing(optional)
- Mix rice powder in little milk and make a smooth paste.
- In a saucepan add rest of the ingredients with rice paste except rose-water and mix really well.
- Then heat the milk mixture in a low to medium heat for about 10 to 15 minutes with constant stirring (please be careful not to burn the milk mixture).
- Then add rose-water and simmer for 2 minutes.By this time,mixture will get thickened.
- Switch off the flame and pour into the individual serving bowl or a big single bowl.
- Garnish with ground almonds and pistachio.
- Keep it in the refrigerator for 2 hours or more and serve chilled.
Tips & Tricks :-
- You can substitute condensed milk with sugar and feel free to adjust the condensed milk/sugar to your liking. With this recipe it was mildly sweet.
- If you can’t get powdered almonds from market, make it at home. Just soak the whole almond in boiling water for sometime and peel off the skin, then grind it in a processor. You can also grind the almond with skin.