Kheema with Dhal(Lentil) is a beautiful combination goes very well with roti,chapathi, rice,Layered Paratha,any bread,Unsweetened Kalathappam(Rice cake) etc.I made it with Indian masala and this is little more on spicier side. You can use any dhal(lentil) and I used Chana Dhal (Splitted chick pea). I also tried with Masoor Dhal (Red lentil) and both came out well.
I wasn’t aware of this tasty dish before. Once my hubby brought Kheema(minced meat) and asked me to make kheema dhal. When he was in college hostel, they used to cook food by themself. So his north India friends used to make this Kheema Dhal occasionally. Thats how I started making this and added to our menu.
I made it my own way and it came out well. Tried second time with some more fine tuning and here it is for you.
Kheema/Minced meat Biriyani (Kannur style) is another delicious recipe with Kheema(Minced meat) if you love to see.
Lets see the recipe…………..
Health Tips :-
- Beef is a rich source of various Vitamins and mineral.(Click here and here for some health benefits of beef)
- Try to stick with organic and grass fed meat.
- Consider the locally farmed meat.
- Kheema (Minced meat) – 450 g
- Chana Dhal(Splitted chickpeas) – 120 g (about 3/4 cup)
- Oil – 2 table-spoon
- Cumin (Jeera) – 1/2 tea-spoon
- Onion – 175 g (about 1 cup chopped)
- Ginger garlic paste – 1 table-spoon
- Green Chilli – 2 to 3 (or as per taste)
- Tomato – 175 g (about 1 cup chopped)
- Red chilli powder – 3 tea-spoon
- Coriander powder – 2 tea-spoon
- Turmeric Powder – 1/4 tea-spoon
- Garam Masala powder (all spice mix) – 1/2 tea-spoon
- Salt – to taste
- Mint leaves and coriander leaves – 2 table-spoon each
- Cook Dhal in a pressure cooker for 3 to 4 whistles or in a vessel untill soft and keep aside.(reserve the water which you used to cook the dhal)
- Heat oil in a deep pan and splutter cumin seeds.
- Then add chopped onion and saute well untill it become translucent.
- Now add ginger garlic paste and chopped green chilli and saute well untill its raw smell goes away and onion become really soft.
- Then add finely chopped tomato and saute well untill it become mashed and combine with onion mixture.
- Now add red chilli powder,coriander powder, turmeric powder with enough salt and mix well untill oils clears around 5 to 6 minutes. (make sure not to burn the masala, keep flame on low)
- Then add minced meat (kheema) and mix well and cook for 15 to 20 minutes by closing the lid on medium flame. (water will come out of meat and that will be enough to cook the meat. if it is really required, you can add little water). stir occasionally while cooking.
- After meat cooked well, add the cooked Dhal and chopped mint and coriander leaves to the meat mixture and mix well.
- Then you can add water reserved after cooking the Dhal.
- Now add Garam Masala powder and mix well.
- Simmer it for 6 to 7 minutes.
- Dont make the curry so watery or so much dry. It should be in between consistency.
- Now switch off the flame and Serve hot by garnishing with coriander leaves.
Tips & Tricks :-
- Adjust the green chilli as you prefer.
- You can use any minced meat. I used here beef Kheema.
- You can use your choice of lentil. I used here chana Dhal(Splitted chickpea). I also tried with red lentil.