Farmer’s cheese (“tvorog” in russian) is widely used as a breakfast item here. They simply have it by pouring some milk and sugar or make pan cake out of it (recipe coming soon!) Or cheesecake like this. When I accompany my husband, when he go to nearby cities for his duty related purpose, from most of the hotels they serve these items for breakfast. Thats how I started noticing this. But when I had this cake first time, i dint realised that this was made out of farmer’s cheese.
I got this recipe from the milklady who used to bring me milk, fresh cream, curd and farmer’s cheese etc… she brings me all homemade, fresh products. Farmer’s cheese I rarely buy from her… only when I feel to make pan cake with it. One day she insisted me to buy tvorog, I told her if you can give me a recipe to make something with this other than pan cake I will buy. Thats when she explained me the recipe. Since this is not a complicated recipe, I understood without more drama ;). Even though we doesn’t know a common language to communicate, we talks so many things ;)…. I can understand little bit of russian language now. From her I learned so many words as well. More than any thing, ” Action speaks better than words”right?! Little words and more hand gestures are our way of communication. If these two-way doesn’t work, google translator comes for rescue 😁! Hubby used to say your early morning time pass is her. On off days, he will be there listening our drama by half sleep in bed.
This is really easy to put together with very little ingredients and healthy breakfast cheese cake too….entirely different from american cheese cake which is eaten as a dessert. You can substitute ricotta cheese or cottage cheese with farmer’s cheese, but make sure to drain off the excess water they have.
If your kids are hesitating to have farmer’s cheese/cottage cheese alone, this is a way to make them eat…they wont even know there is something like this hidden in this. They will enjoy it like a dessert!!
I got this cake more yellowish color because of my egg yolk, it was really dark orange color.
Lets see how this yummy breakfast cake is made…….
Health Benefits :-
- Vitamin D and calcium found in farmer’s cheese/cottage cheese reduces the risk of breast cancer and also strengthen the bones.
- They are high in protein.
- Rich source of B complex vitamins.
- It improves digestion.
- Rich in antioxidant properties.
- Farmer’s cheese – 1 1/2 cup
- Egg -2
- Sugar – 1/4 cup
- Vanilla essence -1 tea-spoon
- Salt – a pinch
- Baking powder – 1/2 tea-spoon
- Semolina – 1 1/2 table-spoon
- Black raisins – enough to decorate (optional)
- Preheat the oven at 180 ° C and grease the pan and keep aside.( I used 8-4″ silicone loaf, which doesn’t need to grease)
- Then put farmer’s cheese in a food processor and process untill you get little smooth texture.(usually farmer’s cheese used to be dry and crumbly)
- Then in a bowl, mix together egg, sugar, vanilla, salt and baking powder.
- After that add semolina and farmer’s cheese and mix really well using spatula untill you get really smooth batter.
- Pour the batter to the prepared pan.
- Now decorate with some raisins if you adding it.
- Then bake for about 1 hour or untill skewer comes out clean.
- Your easy, velvety and yummy cheese cake is ready to enjoy!!
Tips & Tricks :-
- You can substitute farmer’s cheese with cottage cheese or ricotta. Make sure to drain off the excess water if you are substituting.
- You can also add lemon zest to get lemonish punch instead of vanilla.