Financiers are little classic french tea cake baked using ground almonds. These are light and moist delicious treat which is very easy to prepare!
It seems these little spongy cake got the name ‘financiers’ from the traditional rectangular mold, which resembles a bar of gold.
Traditionally financiers are made using small rectangular loaves. Since I dont have it handy…I used my cupcake molds. Whatever mold you use…. these are amazing. This is for the nut lovers, since the core ingredient is ground almonds. Other ingredients are egg white,sugar,little flour and butter.
It doesn’t take much time to prepare, but I am assuring a delicious treat for your family.
Lets see how these cute cakes are made…
Recipe adapted from my favorite pastry chef Anna Olson.(http://www.annaolson.ca)
Health Tips :-
- Almonds are high in healthy monosaturated fats,fiber,protein etc…
- Almonds are loaded with antioxidants that can protect your cells from oxidative damage.
- They are high in Vitamin E, which protect your cell membranes from damage.
- They are high in magnesium, a mineral that can assist with blood sugar control.
- Almonds can lower cholesterol level.
- They are incredibly effective for weight loss
- Almond flour/ground almond – 1 1/4 cup (see tip)
- All purpose flour – 3 table spoon
- Sugar – 1/4 cup (see tip)
- Cinnamon powder – 1/8 tea spoon (optional)
- Salt – a pinch
- Egg white – 3
- Almond extract – few drops
- Mini Chocolate chips – 1/3 cup (see tip)
- Melted butter – 1/3 cup
- Greese the molds with butter and keep it in refrigerator untill you prepare the dough.
- Preheat the oven at 180° C .
- Mix all dry ingredients in a bowl – almond flour, all purpose flour, sugar,cinnamon powder and pinch of salt.
- In another bowl just mix the egg white with almond essence using wire whisk untill just foamy.
- Now add the beaten egg white to dry ingredients and mix well using spatula.
- Now add the chocolate chips and mix.
- Then add the melted butter – cooled to room temperature, to the prepared dough and mix well using your spatula.
- Now fill prepared molds equally and bake for 12 to 15 minutes in preheated oven.
- Number of cakes you get are depends upon the size of mold used. I got 6 medium sized cupcakes.
- Enjoy with your loved one with hot cup of tea/coffee.
Tips & Tricks :-
- Almond flour should remain untoasted. You can use ground almond made at home, make sure not to turn it to buttery while grinding. I used home made ground almonds.
- You can increase the sugar upto 1/2 cup. We were ok with lighter sugar, so used 1/4 cup.
- You can also use dried mini currants or raisins. I had chocolate chips handy, so used it.
- You can store it in airtight containers for couple of days or refrigerate for a week.