Parathas are a traditional staple food of Southern Asia. There are different varieties of parathas across the region. One of the most popular parathas is Potato stuffed Indian flat bread (Aloo paratha) which I have posted already. The main ingredients of any parathas are whole wheat powder, water,salt and ghee or oil, with this we can add lot many varieties of veggies, meat,cheese etc.
Layer paratha doesn’t have any stuffing. Few layers are created by spreading oil/ghee between the layers, which gives this paratha more flavor and little crispiness. There are few different methods for preparing lacha paratha. Traditionally, parathas are prepared for breakfast or dinner with some curry or raitas and pickles. You can even have this with evening cup of tea as it is.
I served this with Kannur style Spicy Beef Curry, and used to have with Chicken Korma/Kurma with Almonds & SesameYou can have this with any veg or non veg curries/side dishes such as Mixed dal and Vegetable Kurma , Kerala style Spicy Duck Roast, Liver Fry etc…..
This layer paratha doesn’t require any preplanning, can be prepared with ingredients readily available in almost all kitchen.
Lets see how this easy layered parathas are made…..
Health Tips :-
- Wheat is rich in magnesium, which helps to prevent Type 2 diabetes.
- Wheat has natural ability to control weight.
- The betadine content of the wheat aid in the prevention of chronic inflammation.
- Wheat is rich in insoluble fiber, which prevent gallstones.
- It promotes women’s gastro intestinal health.
Serves – 11 to 12 parathas
- Whole wheat powder – 1 1/2 cup + more for dusting.
- Hot water – enough to kneed the dough
- Salt – to taste
- Ghee/oil – 3 table spoon + 1 tea spoon.
- Take whole wheat powder and salt in deep bowl and mix well.
- Add water little by little and kneed really well with your hand to form a soft dough. (You can also use dough hook in your stand mixer)
- Now add 1 tea spoon oil/ghee and kneed and keep the dough for resting, covering with a kitchen towel for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Then divide the dough equally into 4 balls.
- Using a rolling pin, roll each balls into about 10 to 11 inch diameter by dusting enough wheat powder.
- Now keep 1st layer and spread 1 table spoon oil/ghee, then sprinkle some wheat powder, then again keep 2nd layer on top of it. Again spread the oil/ghee, sprinkle little wheat powder and keep the 3rd layer and repeat the same and top it with 4th layer.
- Then roll the layered dough from one end to another and make a log as shown in the picture.
- Cut the rolled log into 1 1/2 inch thick (ref pic above). You will get about 10 to 12 pieces
- Now flatten again each dough using rolling pin into 5 to 6 inch diameter.
- Heat a griddle and cook each parathas on both sides flipping 2 to 3 times untill u get light brown spots.
- After taking out from the griddle, press the parathas between your palms gently just to get more flakes.
- Serve it hot with your prefered curry or curd.
Tips and Tricks :-
- Adjust the ghee/oil as your prefer.
- I used olive oil, you can use your choice of oil.