Rava laddu/Thari unda is a evening tea time snack made with Rava/semolina or can have as a dessert after a heavy meal. This laddu is prepared with very little ingredients and can put together easily within no time. You can get different varieties of laddu in Indian markets.
Ghee roasted semolina gives this sweet balls very nice and mouth watering aroma, with the flavour of coconut and crunchy cashew nuts and chewy raisins.
Anyways,lets see how this sweet balls are made.
Health Tips :-
- Potassium content in semolina improves kidney function.
- Semolina is a good source of vitamin E ,vitamin B and selenium, which is good for immunity.
- Minerals in semolina such as phosphorus,zinc and magnesium are benefitial for the health of bones and nervous system.
- Semolina digest very slowly and which helps you feel full for long and prevent you from over eating.
- Semolina has low glycemic index and which makes a recomended food for diabetic people.
- Ghee – 2 table spoon
- Cashew nuts – 8 to 10
- Raisins – 2 table spoon
- Rava/semolina/suji – 1 cup
- Sugar – 1/2 Cup (see tip)
- Water – 3/4 cup
- Grated coconut – 3/4 cup
- Cardamom powder – 1/4 tea spoon
- Salt – a pinch
- Heat ghee in a pan, add chopped cashews and saute untill light brown color. Then add raisins and saute for seconds just to puff up. Take out cashew and raisins and keep aside.
- In the same ghee,add semolina and roast for few minutes. (Make sure not to change the color). Then keep it aside in a bowl.
- In the same pan, add water and sugar. When sugar melts, add cardamom powder, salt and coconut and mix really well and keep for a minute (flame should be low).
- Now add roasted cashew,raisins and semolina to the coconut sugar mixture and mix really well. Then switch off the flame.
- Make lemon sized balls after a minute. (You should make balls when the semolina mixture is hot, else you wont be able to shape it up and it tends to crack).
- Enjoy with your loved one.
- Adjust the sugar as per your taste (I tried with 3/4 cup and 1/2 cup sugar and felt 1/2 cup sugar is perfect)
- You can use freshly grated or desiccated coconut. Here I used desiccated coconut due to unavailabily of fresh one.