Pumpkim is a very versatile veggyyy and one of my favorite too… it goes very well with both sweet and savory dishes. Very first post of my blog was a savory side dish with pumpkin – Pumpkin Curry
This dessert idea I got from my cousin S, who is a contestant of a cooking reality show,playing in Kerala local channel. This was a winner recipe on that day and judges loved it and gave very good comment. He did it with pumpkin and berry and I didn’t have berries handy since this halwa was planned last minute for my guest as a dessert. And here as well it was a winner, my guest too loved it. They packed and took some with them.
Anyways……My wishes and prayers are always with him….good luck bro…keep going!!👍
This is a rich dessert,yet nutritious.You get the nutrition from pumpkin and dates. Added roasted cashew for crunchiness. Addition of milk and condensed milk gave little more richness. Touch of ghee gave this pumpkin dessert an extra punch. This was heavenly!!! I am sure you gonna enjoy every bit of it!
If your kids doesn’t love vegetables, this is the best idea to make them eat….the power pack of Vitamins – Pumpkin!!! They will be happy to have dessert and you can be satisfied of making them eat some veg.
Lets see how this simple and easy dessert made…..
Health Benefit :-
- Pumpkin is a rich source of Vitamin A , which boosts vision.
- It is one of the best source of antioxidants -beta carotine.
- Pottassium contained in pumkin can have positive effect on blood pressure.
- Pumpkin is a power pack of fiber. Experts found that, those who ate diet high in fiber had lower the coronary heart disease by 40%.
- Pumpkin – 250 g (grated)
- Dates – 100 g (1/2 cup chopped)
- Milk – 1 cup
- Sweetened Condensed milk – 4 table spoon
- Vanila essence – 1 tea spoon
- Salt – a pinch
- Cashew nuts – 12 to 15
- Ghee – 2 table spoon
- In a thick bottom pan, heat 2 table spoon of ghee and fry chopped cashew untill light golden brown. Then keep it aside.
- Now saute grated pumpkin in the same ghee for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Then add whole milk and vanilla essence, cook the pumpkin untill 90% of milk gets evaporated.
- Now add pinch of salt and chopped dates and mix well.
- Then add the condensed milk to it. ( adjust the sweetness as per your desire, you will get the sweetness from dates as well).mix well and switch off the flame.
- Finally, add fried cashew nuts and mix well.
- Serve it hot.
- You can also make this ahead of time and before serving, just pop it into microwave for a minute.
- Enjoy with your loved one.
Tips & Tricks :-
- You can substitute sweetened condensed milk with sugar, but condensed milk gives this dessert more richness and flavour.
- You can use your choice of nuts.