Malabar style beef curry is very easy to prepare,yet delicious. This beef curry is very common and widely prepared in my place (kannur) and its taste and style slightly changes from home to home.
Back home in kerala, friday special will be beef. We make beef curry with white rice or ghee rice for lunch. And for dinner, spicy beef curry usually serve with rice pathil,nei pathiri, neer dosa, Kalathappam,chapathi,kerala porotta etc…. this also very well pair with any kind of bread.
Here my hubby loves non veg, so I often makes this.This time I served this spicy beef curry with Layered Paratha/Lacha Paratha (Multi Layered Indian Flat Bread) and cucumber raita. Curd in raita will set off the spiciness of the curry.This curry even taste better the next day!
Lets see how this simple,yet delicious beef curry is made…..
Health Benefits :-
- Beef is the #1 food source of protein, vitamin B12 and zinc.
- It is a very good source of iron too.
- Beef provides notable amount of selenium, a nutrient critical to the human antioxidant defense system.
- Fat consumption has a negative stigma, but a closer evaluation indiactes that, properly proportioned fat consumption plays a vital role in the maintenance of our body.
- Even then,have beef in moderation :).
- Beef – 400 g
- Onion – 1 meduim (about 80g)
- Ginger garlic paste – 3 tea spoon
- Tomato – 1 medium (about 70g)
- Green chilli – 1
- Red chilli powder – 2 tea spoon
- Coriander powder – 3 tea spoon
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tea spoon
- Pepper powder – 1/2 tea spoon
- Garama masala powder – 1/4 tea spoon
- Fennel seed powder(perum jeerakam) – 1/4 tea spoon
- Cardamom – 1
- Cloves – 2
- Cinnamon stick- small piece
- Curry leaves
- Salt – to taste
- Coconut oil – 1 1/2 table spoon
- Coriander leaves – to garnish
- Heat oil in a pressure cooker or deep pan and put cardamom,cloves and cinnamon stick and saute for a minute.
- Now add chopped onion and saute untill it gets soft and changes the color.
- Then add ginger garlic paste and saute for a minute to leave its raw smell.
- Then add chopped tomato and green chilli and saute untill tomato become soft.
- Now add all the masala powders from 6 to 11 and mix well for a minute (Make sure to keep the flame to low, else masalas tends to burn. Add few drops of water, if it is too dry).
- Then add cleaned beef,salt, curry leaves and enought water to cook the beef. Mix everything well and cook the beef untill it is soft.( if you are using pressure cooker, 6 to 7 whistles will do. If using pan, cook for about 40 to 45 minutes on medium heat…time may varry as per the beef, adjust the time accordin).
- Now garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.