Sushki is a crunchy snack which is loved by kids and elders alike. We can get sushki here in all grocery shops and super markets with slight variations and different sizes. Sushki is a cruncy bread, mildly sweet. Some sprinkle poppy seeds, some with sesame seeds, i also got some with mild paprika powder on top. Sushki very commonly available plain – without any seeds or paprika. Normal sushki is made out of just flour,egg,salt and water.
Now most of the kids got winter/christmas holidays. When kids stay at home, they need something to munch on every now and then na? You can make this small bankle shaped snack ahead of time and store in airtight containers for weeks.
Sushki is really easy to make with limited number of ingredients. This recipe adapted from http://www.olgasflavorfactory.com (one of my favorite blog) with little twist of my own.
Lets see how its made…..
- Sweetened Condensed milk -3/4 cup / 7 oz / 230 ml
- Egg – 1
- Softened butter – 2 table spoon
- Vanilla extract – 1 tea spoon
- Baking soda – 1/4 tea spoon
- Salt – a pinch
- All purpose flour – 2 cup
- Desiccated coconut – 4 table spoon
- Poppy seeds – enough to sprinkle on top (optional)
- Sesame seeds- enough to sprinkle on top (optional)
- Egg – 1 small (for egg wash)
- Preheat the oven at 180 °C.
- Mix well the egg, condensed milk,softened butter and vanilla using stand mixer or egg beater.
- In another bowl combine the flour,baking soda, salt and desiccated coconut and then add the flour mix to the egg mixture and make dough using your hand and kneed well.
- Then take small walnut size dough and make thin strips (you can make thin or little thick strips ,the thinner the crispier…..)
- Now stick the one end of strip with other end to make round bankle like shape.
- Follow same process with rest of the dough and arrange the prepared sushki in a parchment lined tray.
- Then beat the egg with 2 teaspoon water for egg wash.
- Just brush the top of the sushki with beaten egg and then sprinkle poppy seeds/sesame seeds, if you are adding it.
- Then bake in a preheated oven for 20-25 mins (time for baking varry depends on your oven and how thin or thick you have made the sushki. Adjust the time accordingly)
- After baking, cool down completely and store it in airtight containers.
- Enjoy with your loved one.
If you are here, you may also like Butter cookies for your little one.