First of all Marry christmas to all my lovely readers! Baking bells already started ringing!! You would have started your preparations. Baking cookies and cakes and packing for your friends and guest. Treat your family and friends this festive season with this tasty and healthy dry fruits cake! There are no flour, no butter, no added sugar too…. its interesting na! Yummyy tooo..
Back home, even though we dont celebrate christmas at home,when i was small kid,during christmas we get fruit cake from Rosy chechi (we call elders ‘chechi’ with respect in kerala),who used to help my mom in house hold and other things when we were small. Even then we can get so many varieties of cakes in market,we used to wait for her cake. And another chechi, philomina….she used to bring us her tasty biriyani, payasam and all, specially made for us on christmas day. Mom wont cook lunch on that day. Me and my bro used to go her home to see the decorated christmas tree, and beautiful decorative star lights. Now I miss all those.
Here they celebrate christmas on 7th of January as in Russia and holidays starts from 31st december for 10days. Even then, started decorating everywhere now itself. A feeling of festival started already.
Anyways, lets gets started!
Recipe adapted from http://www.thehealthychef.com
Health Benefits :-
- Dry fruits are loaded with micro nutrients, fiber and antioxidants.
- It got optimal level of vitamins and minerals and are a natural solution for weight management.
- Dry fruits like prunes, raisins,apricotes are essential to prevent anemia.
- Prunes have natural laxative effect because of their fiber and sorbitol content in it.
- Dates are rich in antioxidants, potassium,iron &fiber. It helps to reduce oxidative damage and also helps with labor in pregnant women.
- Other benefits of dates are Here
- Have dry fruits in moderation, excessive consumption leads to weight gain.
- Egg – 2
- Salt – a pinch
- Orange juice – 1/3 cup
- Orange zest -1/2 tea spoon
- Vanilla extract -1/2 tea spoon
- Cinnamon powder – 1/2 tea spoon
- Nutmeg powder – a pinch
- Oil – 3 table spoon
- Ground almond – 1 cup
- Chopped walnut -50g
- Dried fruits of your choice – 300g (dates,raisins,fig,prune,appricot etc)
- Preheat your oven at 160 ° C. Prepare baking tin of about 6-7″ diameter by lining parchment paper.(I used silicon mold,which doesnt need to grease or use parchment paper)
- Beat egg with pinch of salt using hand beater or stand mixer for 4 to 5 mins untill it is pale yellow.
- Then add orange juice, and zest with vannilla extract and beat for another 1 minute.
- Now add cinnamon and nutmeg powder together with oil and walnut, mix with your spatula.
- Then add ground almond and mix really well.
- Its time to add dry fruits mix (cut into big chunks or if it is small one put as it is) to the prepare batter and mix really well with spatula.
- Now pour the batter to the prepared baking tin and bake for 1 hour or untill skewer comes out clean. Then Cool it on wire rack.
- Serve this healthy dry fruits cakes as it is or with a scoop of ice cream or with some vanilla custard.
- Enjoy with your loved ones 🙂
Tips & Tricks :-
- You can grind the almonds at home in food processor or use store bought one.
- This cake can be stored in refrigerator for couple of weeks.