Spring roll is a perfect tea time snack or use as a starter. This one is a usual item made in every malabar kitchen for iftar during ramadan or evening tea time snacks. We make it at home with indian spice filling from scratch and which can also be freezed easily for couple of weeks.
This spring roll is very easy to make with simple ingredients which is easily available in your kitchen. Thin crepes are filled with meat or vegetable masala (which you desire) and then dip it in beaten egg and coated with bread crumbs and fry. If you expect any guest, you can make this yummy snack some days ahead and freeze it or this can be served to your kids as after school snack. If you are planning to freeze it for later use, just avoide frying part, arrange it in freezer boxes/zip lock bag. When you need to use it, just pop out of the freezer an hour before and fry it.
If you are health concious and wanna avoide frying, simply drizzle/brush some oil and put it in your oven untill light golden brown instead of frying. Oven baked also will taste yummm…..and can have without any guilt too.
Lets see how its made….
Serves :- 17 to 18 rolls
For the meat masala filling :-
- Beef – 500g
- Onion -1 big (approx 250 g)
- Green chilli – 1 or 2
- Ginger garlic paste -1 table spoon
- Ground pepper – 1/2 +1/2 tea spoon
- Turmeric powder -1/4 + 1/4 tea spoon
- Garam masala powder – 1/4 tea spoon
- Oil – 1 1/2 to 2table spoon
- Salt – to taste
- Coriander leaves – 2 table spoon (optional)
For Crepe :-
- All purpose flour – 1 Cup
- Egg – 1
- Melted butter – 3 tea spoon
- Water – 1 1/3 cup
- Salt – to taste
For egg wash, coating & frying :-
- Egg white – 2
- Bread crumbs – enough to coat all the rolls
- Oil enough to fry the rolls.
For meat filling :-
- Clean and cook the beef with some salt, 1/4 tsp turmeric powder and 1/2 tsp pepper powder.
- Then shred the cooked meat using your food processor.(dont make it paste, just pulse 2 or 3 times )
- Heat oil in a pan on a medium heat, put chopped onion and saute well untill soft. Then add ginger garlic paste and finely chopped green chilli to it. Saute untill raw smell goes away.
- Then add all the powders (turmeric powder, pepper powder and garam masala) with enough salt and saute for 1 to 2minutes
- After that add the shredded meat to it and mix well.
- Now switch off the flame and put some chopped coriander leaves.
for crepe and rolling :-
- For crepe batter, whisk all the ingredients (1-5) in a bowl without leaving any lumps. (You can also use blender)
- Heat a non stick pan and pour less than 1/4 cup batter (about 30 ml) and make thin crepe of about 5 1/2″ diameter circle.
- Take out the cooked crepe and keep it on a greesed plate. Then put 1 table spoon of meat masala filling, by keeping 1 1/2 inch space towards the end. Then fold the two sides towards centre and start rolling from down to upward ( as shown in pic).
- Repeat the same process untill u finish all the batter.
- Then lightly beat egg white with 2 tea spoon of water.
- Dip the prepared roll in egg white and then coat well with bread crumbs.
- Then heat oil in a frying pan and shallow fry the rolls untill golden brown. ( you can also do deep fry)
- Serve hot with your prefered sauces (chilli sauce/ tomato ketchup etc) or have as it is with hot cup of tea/coffee.
Tips & Tricks :-
- Adjust the green chilli and pepper powder as per hotness you prefer.
- You can aslo use chicken or other meat of your choice instead of beef.
- You can also use minced meet which is readily available in market.
- You can also make only meat filling ahead of time and freeze. Then make the crepe and do rolling when you are about to have them.