Kalathappam is a Rice cake – a north malabar delicacy,which is prepared both sweetened and unsweetened. Sweetened version prepared using gaggery and usually served as a snack item. Unsweetened kalathappam usually accompany with spicy curries, served for breakfast or dinner.
Kapathappam is one of the easiest dish which usually makes at home for breakfast or dinner. It just need to pour the prepared whole batter into a deep pan and cooked in low flame. If mom wanna go somewhere, or she is busy with someother thing, mom used to opt for this yummy rice cake. Now when I started my culinary journey, I do the same thing. If i am lazy to stand in kitchen for long time, I go for this. Or if we are planning for any trip next day morning -used to prepare this previous day night, so that morning breakfast will be easy, peacefull and fillling. This can also be packed on the go and have it with some sugar/honey/dates syrup or unsweetened kalathappam is simply delicious by its own without any accompaniment.
The combination of coconut,onion and fennel seeds with rice gives Kalathappam a tasty flavour.
Lets see how this easy and tasty dish is made.
Health Tips :-
- White rice has mild diuretic properties and serves as digestive aid.
- It treat and prevent gastro intestinal distress.
- Rice is naturally gluten free, so this makes it safe choice for those who are gluten intolerant.
- Rice is relatively safe option for source of healthy carbs in daily diet.
- White rice is OK to have in moderation.
- Excessive consumption may lead to type 2 Diabetics.
Serves :- 2 – 3 adults
- White rice/Basmathi rice – 1 cup
- Cooked rice – 1/2 cup
- Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
- Onion – 120g ( medium size)
- Fennel seeds – 3/4 tea spoon
- Water – 1 1/3 cup
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – 1 1/2 to 2 table spoon
- Wash and soak the rice in water for 4 to 5 hours minimum or over night.
- Grind the rice smoothely with grated coconut,fennel seeds,half of chopped onion and water with enough salt.
- Now finely chop the other half of onion and put half of it to the batter and mix.
- Heat oil in a deep non stick pan (i used 7″ diameter pan) and add rest of the chopped onion to it and saute untill light brown.
- Then pour the whole prepared batter into the heat pan slowly. Now you can see, all the browned onion and oil has come up on top.
- Now close the lid and cook for almost 45 to 50 mins, on very low flame. Cooking time may vary little, depends on pan and flame you use.
- Then flip over the Kalathappam (just place a plate on top of the pan,then turn it over and put back the kalathappam to the pan, by upper white portion facing down) and cook for another 10 minutes.
- This can be served with any spicy curry like Spicy Mutton Chops Masala ,Kerala style spicy duck roast, Spicy liver fry , Spicy Beef Curry (Kannur Style) etc…
- Enjoy this malabar delicacy with your loved one.
Tips & Tricks :-
- You can use either fresh or desiccated coconut.