God’s Own Country – Kerala, blessed with its natural greenary and back waters. Kerala also known as “land of spices in India”. You can hear “quack quack” sounds and see ducks swimming on backwaters, especially on kuttanad side – How beautiful scene it will be!! My grandma had some ducks before on her backyard…as her lovely pet bird, when I was small kid. But now we dont have any. Duck roast is very famous in kuttanad side of kerala, where we have so much back waters and ducks over there. This is also one of the menu item in toddy shop.
This is very first time I was cooking duck. When my hubby brought duck, I had no idea what to do with that. Then he suggested to make duck roast. I googled for recipe, but finally ended up in my own way.This is little more on spicier side, but believe me -it was a hit. Really it was finger licking spicy duck roast.
Lets see how its made.
Health Tips :-
- Duck meat contain good amount of antioxidant – selenium, which protects cells from free radicals, and helps to improve immunity.
- It is an excellent source of Iron, which helps to beat anaemia.
- It contain Niacin, which play vital roll to improve metabolisom.
- Duck meat also contain good amount of protein.
- Try to avoid the skin, which contain high amount of cholesterol.
- Duck – 250 g
- Coconut oil – 2 table spoon
- Onion – 1 medium
- Green chilli – 1 or 2
- Ginger garlic paste – 1/2 table spoon
- Pepper powder – 2 tsp
- Red chilli powder- 1 tsp
- Coriander powder – 2 tsp
- Garam masala powder – 1/2 tsp
- Fennel seed powder – a pinch
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp + 1 tsp
- Vinegar -1/2 table spoon
- Curry leaves -2 springs
- Salt to taste
- Water enough to cook the duck
- Apply 1 tsp turmeric powder and some salt to duck and keep for 15 to 20 minutes and wash nicely and keep aside.
- Heat 1 table spoon oil in a deep thick pan, and put chopped onion and saute well.
- Now add ginger garlic paste and slitted green chilli and saute untill its raw smell go away.
- When onion gets soft and light brown color, add all the powders (ingredients 6 -11) and saute well.
- Now add the cleaned duck to it, with enough salt and vinegar.
- Now add little water and cook the duck.
- After duck gets cooked, pour some oil in another pan,take out only duck pieces from it and shallow fry it with curry leaves for sometime.
- Now put back the duck with curry leaves to the gravy and mix well and cook for 1 to 2 minutes more.
- Switch off the flame and serve hot and enjoy this spicy treat with your loved one.
- Do let me know the feed back once you tried.
Tips & Tricks :-
- You can use shallots instead of onion, which will enhance the taste to the next level (shallots are not easily available here, so i couldnt use it)
- Try to use coconut oil itself to get authentic kerala taste.