This is an age-old Malabar recipe…. may be this one is there from my great grandma’s time. One of my favorite pudding which my grandma and mom used to make. Whenever they make this, used to give to neighbours and relatives near by. My grandma used to say, this is one of favorite sweet dish of grandpa, so she often make this for him.But now a days people rarely make this, because all are behind moderns pastries and sweets, which they get readily available in bakeries.
In our place we call it as “Nasara”. I think this cute dish got so many other names in different part of malabar, but i am not so sure about it.
This delicious treat you can make with few ingredients, which will be available in your kitchen easily. This is something which we can cut into piece and have – soft piece, not watery like payasam. We can have it either hot or cold. Both way it is delicious.
Health Tips :-
- Whole wheat helps to improve metabolism.
- It substantially lower type 2 diabetics risk.
- Betadine content in wheat helps in the prevention of chronic inflammation.
- Promotes women’s gastrointestinal health.
- Protect against breast cancer.
- Whole wheat – 1/2 Cup
- Water – 1 cup
- Milk – 2 cup
- Sugar – 3 table-spoon
- Cardamom powder – 1/4 to 1/2 tsp
- Salt – a pinch
- Ghee – 2 table-spoon
- Cashew – to garnish
- Wash and soak the whole wheat in tap water for about 3 to 4 hours.
- Grind the wheat using 1 cup water untill smooth. Stain and discard the residue.
- Keep the ground mix in a bowl for an hour without touching. By this time water will get clear by leaving wheat set down. Slowly discard the water left on the top(only water, not the ground wheat)
- Now heat a thick bottom deep pan and pour the ground wheat with milk. Add sugar, pinch of salt and cardamom powder. Make sure you stir without taking your hand, it tends to leave lumps. Flame should keep in low.
- Now it will start thickening. Keep on stirring.(it took me 15 to 20 mins) Then add 1 1/2 table-spoon ghee to it.
- Switch off the flame when the mix start comes out of the pan without sticking.
- Apply very little ghee on your serving dish. Immediately pour the mix to the serving dish.
- Now heat 1/2 table-spoon ghee in a small pan and fry the cashew untill light brown and pour the cashew with ghee on the pudding.
- Yummyy wheat pudding is ready. Enjoy with your loved one.
Tips & tricks :-
- You can adjust the sugar as per your taste. I prefer less sugar, that’s why added only 3 table-spoon.
- You can use either coconut milk or regular milk / by mixing both. Coconut milk give more richer flavour and taste.