Weekend lunch are always special for us. Because we both have lunch together only on weekends. Week days he wont be able to come home for lunch. So we make it something heavy. Usually our Kerala style dishes. So this week-end I planned to make something which I never tried before. Actually I came to know about this dish when I was talking to my cousin sufaira. I was asking her if she know some old dishes which is not so popular now. Then her mom ( my aunt) suggested this one. After sometime,when i called my mom, i asked about this dish and she explained me how to make this.
This is really simple dish, with the goodness of green gram dal and flavour of coconut milk, which will really make you full. I served this yummmy dish with Malabar style spicy beef curry. You can enjoy it with any other curry of your choice. Lets see how its made…
Health Tips :-
- Green gram has got alot of minerals, Vitamin B and protein.
- High fiber content in it prevent blood sugar level rising rapidly.
- This tiny nutrition keep you feeling full and satisfied and helps in weight loss.
- Basmathi rice/jeerakashla biriyani rice – 1 cup
- Green moong dal – 1/4 cup
- Ghee – 1 1/2 table-spoon
- Cinnamon stick – 1 inch pc
- Cardamon – 2
- Cloves – 2
- Bay leaf – 1
- Onion – Half of small one
- Green chilli – 1
- Coconut milk – 2 1/4 – 2 1/2 cup ( see tip)
- Salt – to taste.
- Dry roast the green moong and just pulse it in your processor and soak it in the water for 1 hour and keep aside. ( make sure not to grind it. We just need it to get splitted)
- Wash and soak your rice for 15 to 20 mins.
- Now heat a thick bottom deep pan and melt the ghee, add in cinnamon stick,cardamom, cloves and bay leaf. When you get its aroma, add in the onion and green chilli. Saute it for a min,just it needs to turn pink (make sure not to brown the onion).
- Now add coconut milk, enough salt and when it comes to boil, add green gram and rice. ( make sure to discard complete water you used for soaking, else it may over cook the rice and lentle ).keep the flame to medium. Close the lid and cook
- Once all the coconut milk evaporate, keep the flame to low and just turn the rice upside down using your spatula,to make sure all rice cook evenly.
- When rice cook completely, switch off the flame and serve hot with your prefered curry.
Tips and Tricks :-
- You can avoid coconut milk and use water instead. But coconut milk gives rich flavour to the dish.
- 1st use 2 1/4 coconut milk and add additional 1/4 cup if required ( some rice may need more water)
- You can also add curry leaves to the ghee while adding cardamom and cinnamon stick, which will give nice aroma. ( It is not available here, so I didn’ t add)