Indian cuisines differ with states or even districts. Aloo paratha is a famous breakfast item in north,central part of India.Even though it is traditionally used as breakfast item,it can be taken at any time of the day…
Our favorite shopping destination is our own capital city – Delhi.I fell in love with aloo stuffed paratha during our delhi trip.Hot aloo paratha with lemon pickle…and hot cup of coffee…. woww…what else you want??!!what a delicious way to start a day!! We do shop for hours after a power pack breakfast with this or after roaming around in CP(Conaught Place – one of the famous business/shopping destination in delhi), we fuel up with hot aloo paratha – you dont need to wait for long after ordering :).
Another place is Delhi airport food court ;). Usually our flight to tashkent used to be at midnight. So our dinner on that day will be from airport food court.My husband will be searching what he wanna eat (he will be confused and used to end up in some fast food), but i go directly to aloo paratha counter,order one and a filter coffee from “Vangoo” (Tamil food stall). When we eat, automatically his hand will come to my plate and crave some ;)….hehe…. So sweet of him 😄.
You can also pack this for your kids in tiffins to school, no need of curry and other mess up. its really filling tooo.
There are alot of varieties of Aloo paratha. It differ with technique of preparation and stuffing.
Its very easy to make and tastyy tooo….ingredients are easily available… what are you waiting for?….lets go to our favourite place at home….Kitchen!!!
Health Tips :-
- Potato is a power pack of Vitamines – such as Vit B6, Vit C , pottassium,Manganese, fiber and go on…..
- Some content in potato has an antioxidant property, which also work agaist free radicles.
- Dont mess up potato with large amount of butter or oil like french fries, potato chips which are loaded with oil, will effect adversely.
Serves : 2 or 3
For dough :-
- Wheat flour ( atta) – 2 cup
- Oil / ghee – 2 tsp
- Salt – to taste
- Water – to kneed the dough
For potato filling :-
- Potato – 2 medium
- Oil – 2 tsp
- Cumin seeds – 1 tsp
- Onion – 1 small
- Ginger garlic paste -1/ 2 tsp
- Green chilli -2
- Cumin powder -1 generous pinch
- Pepper powder – 1 pinch
- Garam malasa powder – 1/4 tsp
- Termeric powder – 1 pinch
- Coriander leaves -3 or 4 tsp finely chopped
- Salt -to taste
For making dough:-
1 – Mix the wheat flour with oil,salt and enough water and kneed it untill you get a soft dough. Keep aside by covering with a kitchen towel to prevent drying out the dough.
For potato filling :-
1 – Boil and cook the potato with enough salt, peel and mash smoothly without any lumps and keep aside.
2 – In a pan, pour the oil and splutter the cumin seeds, then add very finely chopped onion,ginger garlic paste,finely chopped green chilli and saute untill onion become light brown.
3 – Now add all the powders and enough salt and saute untill raw smell goes away, then switch off the flame.
4 – Now mix the mashed potato with the masala mixture well. Your filling is ready.
To assemble :-
1 – Take two small balls out of dough.
2 – Roll the dough using rolling pin into 5 to 6 inches diameter ( size can varry as per dough you have taken) – try to make almost equal size.
3 – Spread the filling equally on one rolled dough keeping approx 1 inch empty space and keep the second one on top of it, seal it nicely with ur hand. Roll again gently with rolling pin to 8 to 9 inches diameter – or size can varry as per the dough you have taken . (See the pic above).
4 – Now put the paratha on hot griddle, cook both the side untill u get light brown spot, apply little oil or ghee on both sides while cooking.It may puff up slightly.
5 – Do the same with all the dough and filling.
6 – Serve hot paratha with your prefered pickle or curd.
Tips and Tricks :-
- You can avoide oil/ ghee while preparing the dough and cooking the paratha. But adding oil give soft and flavourful paratha.
- Mash potato very smoothly and chop the other veg very fine,otherwise while you roll, the dough tends to break.
- You can avoid souteing process and simply add all those ingredients to the mashed potato while making stuffing. But i prefer to saute,because raw smell of onion and spices will go away.