Kerala style Pumpkin curry is very simple and delicious, which is very lightly spiced and enriched with coconut milk. This is a tasty side dish perfect served with Spicy Beef Curry, Spicy Mutton Chops Masala, or Liver Fry, or any other spicy dish of you choice.
This curry is a perfect blend of cooked pumpkin, coconut milk with a clove of garlic,little cumin and green chili for that hot kick. A table spoon of soaked and ground rice also added to get the thickness. Absolutely simple curry but I am sure you gonna make it again and again.
I make Sunday lunch with veg varieties, mostly our Kerala style dishes with hot rice.
When winter starts,we get a lot of pumpkin here in Tashkent. So this Sundays menu,I added my all time favorite dish – pumpkin curry.
My mom used to make tasty pumpkin curry with hot rice and spicy beef… our favorite best combo ever.
Pumpkin is very versatile (fruit/Veg???!!!…..is it veg or fruit….i really don’t know, google gives mixed answers. What do you think??) We can make so many sweet and savory dishes with pumpkin. One of my favorite pumpkin sweet dish is Pumpkin Payasam. I love this beautiful and nutritious veggyy/Fruits 😉 and here are some recipes Pumpkin and Dates Pudding/Halwa and Pumpkin Payasam Panna Cotta I have shared here already.
Health Tip :-
- Pumpkin is a power pack of fiber, which can keep you feel full with low calorie,which aid weight loss. 🙂
- They are enriched with Vitamin A, which promote good vision.
- Pumpkin are rich in beta carotene and other antioxidants.
- Potassium in Pumpkin helps to maintain blood pressure.
Here you go the recipe.
- Pumpkin – 1 cup (cut into small cubes)
- White rice – 1 table spoon
- Garlic – 2 cloves
- Green chili – 1
- Cumin seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Coconut milk powder – 2 table spoon( see the note)
- Water – 1 cup
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tsp
- Coconut oil – 1 table spoon
- Salt – to taste
- Soak the white rice in water for an hour minimum.
- Cook the pumpkin with enough water and salt untill soft and mash nicely (u can also pressure cook for one whistle).Reserve the water left after cooking the pumpkin.
- Nicely grind the soaked rice,garlic,green chilli,turmeric powder, cumin seeds, coconut powder with water which u reserved after cooking pumpkin.
- Pour the grinded mix to the cooked and mashed pumpkin and cook for 5 to 8 mins on low medium flame. It will get thicken, that is the right consistency and switch off the flame.
- Now heat coconut oil in a small pan and put mustard seeds and splutter. Then pour it on to the pumpkin curry.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and enjoy!!
Tips & Tricks :-
- Use fresh coconut milk instead of coconut powder , which will enhance the taste.
- While you splutter the mustard seed,use curry leaves also,which will give nice aroma. ( i wont get curry leaves here in tashkent 😦 )
- You can increase or reduce the greenchilli as per the hotness of the chilli or spiciness you prefer.
- You can also use butter squash instead of pumpkin, which also will give same texture and taste .